ejector pump flowing back after 1 min

Users who are viewing this thread

Qwertyjjj

Reaction score
The ejector pump pumps directly to the septic tank.
After about 1 minute, I can hear some gurgling and it sounds like water coming back through the pipe.
Anything I can do to see what the problem might be?

It's in the pipe closest in the video.
the bizarre thing is that that pipe closest in the picture has a 90 degree bend into the floor again.
I can replace the check valve to test it out.
do i just run the pump cycle then disconnect it then undo the nuts on the pipe?
I hear a water hammer sound when the pump stops so that must be the valve working?

Read more: http://www.doityourself.com/forum/w...er-flowing-back-after-1min.html#ixzz3Aly4h3fm

² - YouTube
1 - YouTube

How do I know if the check valve is ok?
Should I just seal all the joins with silicone or put an acryclic box over the pump and seal it?

Reach4

Reaction score
It could be there is a pipe or other water path feeding the pit below the pump-on level. Then after the pit level drops, that pipe gets to empty. That would produce a sound. I guess it could be your checkvalve, but then how does the pressure get there. Does the pipe to your septic tank go out at a higher level than the floor?

A sewage pit should have a vent. Are you sure this is fed by sewage, or is it maybe fed by the perimeter drain?

Qwertyjjj

Reaction score
It's definitely sewage. The toilet is about 5ft away, when you flush it, the pump starts up. Also, all water in the house drains into that pump and when it gets full enough, it turns on and pumps out.
The pipe to the septic tank is at a higher level as the pump is essentially at basement level. When I look at the tank outside at least, it looks like the top level of water is higher but perhaps the pipe goes up and drops vertically into the tank...not sure.

Qwertyjjj

Reaction score

Qwertyjjj

Reaction score
Just a thought...the current check valve is installed horizontally. Would the valve work properly like that?

Qwertyjjj

Reaction score
The smell seemtobe strongest just on the underside of the pump lid/cover.
Could that be a rubber gasket problem?

Reach4

Reaction score
The smell seemtobe strongest just on the underside of the pump lid/cover.
Could that be a rubber gasket problem?
I must be misunderstanding you. You seem to be complaining that there is a smell on the underside of your septic pit cover, and you are blaming the gasket for that? Clearly I am not understanding.

Qwertyjjj

Reaction score
The pum
I must be misunderstanding you. You seem to be complaining that there is a smell on the underside of your septic pit cover, and you are blaming the gasket for that? Clearly I am not understanding.
The pump inside that house that ejects sewage to the septic tank outside has a lid, which is supposed to be a seal.
It smells when it pumps as there must be a leak. I'm just wondering how long the gaskets last for.

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
A good place to start is to see if you have flow out of your septic tank.

Is it the sounds that bothers you, or do you have flushing problems ?

Good Luck.

Reach4

Reaction score
So you are detecting a smell above the pit cover. You could apply some soapy water generously around the pit cover and watch while the pump kicks on. This would be similar to looking for leak on a tire, except that any bubbling will be just during a brief time.

Water with maybe 10% dish washing liquid can make a good easy solution. If you wanted to get fancy, you could use a solution made for blowing bubbles.

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
I would look at venting.

Screw blowing bubbles.

By the way, shit does stink. Even if you think yours does not.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks