Egress window versus larger window

Users who are viewing this thread

Spfrancis

Reaction score
I have just purchased a house that hash a finished basement, that does not have an egress for the basement. I was looking at putting in a egress window, and I wanted to ask the folks on this forum about possible alternatives. A Bilco egress will be a big hole in the wall, and a deep hole in the outside ground to support the 45" inches wide, and the depth from the ground of 45-55 inches to allow it to be the right height in the basement. It seems like a very large hole, and I get the need for it. The one thing that someone else said I could do to make it a smaller footprint, but would still allow adults or kids to get out is to just put a bigger window in there. The current window is 15x30(~), and he was saying that I could put in another 15x30 underneath it(meaning one windows 30x30), and it would provide a 30x30 opening. It would have to be some sort of window that would fold in, so that in case of an emergency, I could open the space. I know that it is not an egress, but it is providing a good size opening to have someone get out, and it won't cost nearly as much as an egress.
Hopefully I won't get flamed for trying to divert the use of an egress, but I wanted to see what folks think.
Sony,

Dana

In the trades
Reaction score
The IRC specifies 5.7 square feet (821 square inches) net clear area for an egress window, minimum dimension of the short side of 20". That means you can't have a bar in the middle of that area. I'm not sure how you can add another 15 x30 and end up with 821 un-obstructed clear area in a manner that has anywhere near the air tightness or weather resistance of a 30" x 30" window. With the window framing interfering with the egress area, there's no way it's actually easier to squeeze your body out of it when the room is on fire.

Unless it's a bedroom most local codes don't require an egress window for a basement. If you want to install something smaller than a 30x30, say a 20" x 30" or 24" x 30" it still wouldn't be a code-legal egress window, but a heluva lot easier to squeeze out of than a pair of 15" x 30" separated by the window framing. A bottom end clear-glass ~U0.50 24" x 32" awning or hopper window runs about $115 at box stores, but a pretty-good low-E 24" x 36" Jeld-Wen is only ~$200, and comes close to (but not quite) a code legal egress opening size.

From a heating & cooling efficiency point of view, a low-E 24" x 36" probably beats the heat loss/gain numbers of the existing 15" x 30" window even if it's a clear-glass double-pane, and hands-down beats the loss/gain number of a clear-glass basement window. A single 24" x 36" awning window has less weather stripping length than a pair of 15" x 30", and should have less air leakage. In a humid Virginia summer, air leakage into the basement represents a real latent cooling load, and contribute to the "musty basement smell" mold factor, and in the winter air leakage is a significant heating load at sub-freezing temps. A single larger (if not code-legal egress size) awning window is really a better choice.

If it IS a bedroom, don't cheat the code on this!

Spfrancis

Reaction score
yeah, so it is not another 15x30 window. The idea is that it would be a 30x30 window, with some way of having the window fold in so that it would not need to be pushed out, but rather pulled in. So possibly a 24x32 JeldWen window could be enough to provide an opening for escape. The basement does have a bedroom, so it would be having people sleeping down there. I just thought that the opening for the Bilco was pretty large. It seemed pretty large. I will have to find out what the code states for this.

Dana

In the trades
Reaction score
Start at Section 310, a bit over halfway down the page.

If it's a bedroom, go with a code-legal window. You may be grandfathered-in with the existing window, but if you replace it with a larger but still sub-code egress it's on you.

Awning & hopper windows can have issues for getting out of a basement quickly since you'd either be banging your head on or crawling over glass. A casement window is probably a better bet if you're keeping the total size smaller, but sliders may be easier, although it has to be nearly twice the side of a casement to have 821 square inches of egress.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
When I lived in Germany, I fell in love with their typical choice of windows. Many of them have a tilt-open functionality. You turn the handle 90-degrees from being locked, and you can tilt the entire sash in from the top - lets air in, directs rain outside, keeps things secure...turn the handle 180-degrees from the locked position, and it opens like a door. Really neat, great access, easy glass cleaning, great security, easy egress (but expensive). This is one company that imports them

http://www.fenstermann.com/Home_Page.html

. VisionWall used to make them in the USA...not sure if they still do.

Spfrancis

Reaction score

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
I was told that the minimum size is based on the space needed for the average dressed-out firefighter to enter the room from the outside.
I don't know that to be fact, but it makes some sense. There are also minimum dimensions for the area required outside of the window.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks