Efficiency

Users who are viewing this thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rjh2o

Reaction score
12 year old iron filter rebedded two years ago. New pump this year to improve pressure/GPM/aeration/backwash. Don't recall the numbers from the water tests but lots of iron. A pail of unfiltered water left overnight looks like I mopped up a slaughterhouse. Water let to sit after filtration stays clear yet get iron stains on the grout. RO pre-filters discolour. Using RO water in my coffeemaker, there is a stained high water mark. My water guy says it can only do so much.

When an in-line micronizer is used oxidized iron precipitates out in the well tank and clogs the lines from well tank up to the precip tank and frequently inside the backwashing valve itself. Mud-balls occur in the precip tank causing precipitants to build up in tank. The ferric iron bleed may be due to pressure loss in the aforementioned areas. These systems need to backwash every day. I would suggest taking out the micronizer and install an air pump to inject air directly to precip tank.

RJ

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
These systems need to backwash every day.
I've been told by more than one person that a birm filter should not be backwashed too often, that a dirty filter is a tighter filter. The iron filter came with a 6 day clock which I changed out to a 7 day clock and backwash once a week.

My old pump was worn from eating too much sand and so did not produce the GMP/pressure (20/40) for the micronizer to work well. It also did not provide enough GPM/pressure for a thorough backwash. The line between the precipitation tank was constricted as well reducing the GPM of backwash. After rebedding the filter, I snaked out the line. With the new pump, I think I am getting good aeration and backwash with 40/60 PSI.

Every few months, I raise the pressure to 80 PSI and do a manual backwash to give the bed a good shakeup.

As for the micronizer, I was hoping to connect an air pump to it and open up the bypass a little to allow more GPM through it. I have not been able to find an air pump at a reasonable price.

Teve

Reaction score
Ok, I'll tell you what. Anybody here that it matters too, feel free to PM me or better yet just pipe up here instead. LOL

I just found this web page that seems appropriate for this thread. It seems to give a fairly good overview of how softeners work and how to set them up. I haven't read it in detail and would not know how accurate it is, but it seems to give a lot of information. Perhaps others here can comment on it.

http://www.wcponline.com/pdf/0304 Water Softners.pdf

Wally107

Reaction score
Gary - just finished reading your critique of the paper. It's obvious you put a lot of thought into this, and it shows...and I appreciate it.

It matters when you say it was from Pentair that has Fleck, that makes softener control valves, and it wasn't from Pentair.

Maybe just for possible clarification - I found the original White Paper:

http://www.pentairwatertreatment.co... Water Brine Efficiency White Paper 42755.pdf

Not 100% sure, but it does appear it is indeed from Pentair.

Wally107

Reaction score
I just found this web page that seems appropriate for this thread. It seems to give a fairly good overview of how softeners work and how to set them up. I haven't read it in detail and would not know how accurate it is, but it seems to give a lot of information. Perhaps others here can comment on it.

http://www.wcponline.com/pdf/0304 Water Softners.pdf

Another excellent article, with useful info for us novices. Thanx!

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
Gary - just finished reading your critique of the paper. It's obvious you put a lot of thought into this, and it shows...and I appreciate it.

Maybe just for possible clarification - I found the original White Paper:

http://www.pentairwatertreatment.com/PentairFiles/Pentair%20Water%20Treatment/Literature/Pentair%20Water%20Brine%20Efficiency%20White%20Paper%2042755.pdf

Not 100% sure, but it does appear it is indeed from Pentair.
Articles like that usually come from a water treatment industry magazine and then are shared on various web sites. I think there are some minor differences in it but it's the same article in general and has the same short comings as the original.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks