EBBE Square drain adapter kit for Insta-Set cast iron drain, for hot mopping?

Users who are viewing this thread

Killer95Stang

Reaction score
Does that new flange bolt down onto your old rough in?

JW

Yes... It comes with a new upper half of the clamping drain, which acts as the adapter for the Ebbe square drain assembly. I'm placing my order tonight, so I'll have a better idea of how it works once it gets here.

Last edited:

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Hot mop is really old school for a shower, but still will be approved by your inspector.....standard practice calls for THREE layers of felt. See the Tile Handbook from the American Tile Council. http://tileusa.com/

If you need help on how to preslope your mud bed, good advice is available at the tile forum www.johnbridge.com

Killer95Stang

Reaction score
Hot mop is really old school for a shower, but still will be approved by your inspector.....standard practice calls for THREE layers of felt. See the Tile Handbook from the American Tile Council. http://tileusa.com/

If you need help on how to preslope your mud bed, good advice is available at the tile forum www.johnbridge.com

I tried getting quotes for schluter type systems, but it seems like every tile man i called still does hot mop and floated walls type
tile jobs. Just doing a search of the yellow pages comes up with no less than 10 hot mop only businesses in my area.

Thanks for the tips on the current code for hot mopping. I' ll make sure the licensed company i choose uses the correct standards.

John Bridge

Mudmeister
Reaction score
Website
johnbridge.com
John Whipple said:
If he goes to John Bridge they will try and make him drink the Orange Kool Aid.

I've been trying to ignore Whipple since we ran him off as a trouble-maker a couple years back. John is a DIY'er who over the past few years has proclaimed himself an expert in the building trades, and he has a chip on his shoulder. :)

At the John Bridge Tile Advice Forums we don't "make" anybody do anything. We do the best we can to help people complete their projects in a workmanlike manner. Just as Terry Love runs the world's number one plumbing advice site, we run the number one tile advice site. JB Forums is affiliated with the National Tile Contractors Association. We are respected within the industry, and we are here to serve. :)

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
If you wanted to use Kerdi, and already had a clamping drain in place, they sell an adapter that screws into the base of the drain to accommodate the Kerdi to create the waterproof connection. Once the waterproof membrane is covered up with the wear surface (the tile), it's thickness is irrelevant, and thinner makes less obtrusive seams and folds. All of them can work well, if installed properly.

westcoasthotmop

Reaction score
re-using old drain for hot mop

Hi Killer, We hot mop hundreds of showers every month. We get asked this question often. If this was on a second floor we would highly recommend you change out the drain. However, on first floor slab it is not as risky. You just want to make sure that the new top half of the drain you are buying fits perfectly over the old bottom flange. We have seen showers leak in between the halves because the two pieces don't sandwich together nicely. You can find more info on hot mopping and shower pan articles Here. Thanks! - West Coast Shower Pans

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks