easy way to remove tape from trim & base boards

Users who are viewing this thread

possum

Reaction score
i got tape on all my trim & base board and cant get it off anyone have any segestions on how to get it off easy??

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
tape

If it is masking tape, it should be removed immediately after painting so it does not age and bond to the surface. If it is paper tape, try soaking it with water and then rubbing it with a rough cloth.

Prashster

Reaction score
Is it wood or mdf?

If it's mdf, don't use any water. MDF will swell irreparably when it gets wet, and it won't be pretty.

If it's wood, there's no easy solution. Use a razor or stiff putty knife to carefully scrape as much as you can off. Then try to dissolve the residual glue with a rag and a solvent. I'd try these in order of increasing potential damage to the underlying paint: mineral spirits, isopropyl alcohol, turpentine, acetone.

If none of it works, (it will, though), roll up ya sleeves and get outcha sandpaper.

If that doesn't work, rent a jack hammer and position it against the wall carefully where the offending tape refuses to yield. Plug in hammer. In your best Rebel Yell, cry out "D@mn you, 3M!" and go Rambo on your wall.

possum

Reaction score
thanks for the tips. I think it is some sort of composite shit that looks like wood but I could be wrong.

Rdtompki

Reaction score
As expensive as the stupid "blue" tape is I always use it for just this reason. I've painted my house, barn, hayshed and small storage building twice and never had a problem. Only problem is the sticker shock. I've tried off-blue stuff from Ace hardware and it is not the same. 3M just has a bunch of really "bad" chemists, but you got to pay to use their wares.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks