"Dynamic" Water Hammer

Users who are viewing this thread

SDHomeOwner

Reaction score
I just added a water regulator to my home's incoming water line and lowered the water pressure from 100 to 60lbs. In addition, I replaced an anti siphon valve to my front lawn sprinkler system. After completing the work and purging the lines of air, I now experience severe "water-hammer" type pressure fluctuations when I quickly turn on the bathtub cold water (or when the toilet flushes). The severe banging continues until I turn off the bath tub cold water. I can eliminate the problem by simply turning off the isolation valve to the front lawn sprinkler system.

I am not a plumber, but I have talked to several and they have stated that they have never heard of this type of problem. I have been troubleshooting this for a week now and have tried replacing the anti siphon, adding a water hammer arrestor, among other things - all to no avail. I would really appreciate it if anyone has any experience with this type of issue. Thanks in advance for your help!

Neil

Reach4

Reaction score
I now experience severe "water-hammer" type pressure fluctuations
I suspect you are describing a repeated machine-gun sound. This is not what is called water hammer. Water hammer is the bang that can happen when you turn water off. Just a terminology comment.

SDHomeOwner

Reaction score
I just added a water regulator to my home's incoming water line and lowered the water pressure from 100 to 60lbs. In addition, I replaced an anti siphon valve to my front lawn sprinkler system. After completing the work and purging the lines of air, I now experience severe "water-hammer" type pressure fluctuations when I quickly turn on the bathtub cold water (or when the toilet flushes). The severe banging continues until I turn off the bath tub cold water. I can eliminate the problem by simply turning off the isolation valve to the front lawn sprinkler system.

I am not a plumber, but I have talked to several and they have stated that they have never heard of this type of problem. I have been troubleshooting this for a week now and have tried replacing the anti siphon, adding a water hammer arrestor, among other things - all to no avail. I would really appreciate it if anyone has any experience with this type of issue. Thanks in advance for your help!

Neil

After trial and error, I have found the cure to my severe pressure fluctuations. It was the (Shark Fit) water pressure regulator that I installed. I replaced it with a Wilkins regulator and no more pipe banging noise/eventual damage. Thank you for replies. I hope you find this useful. Neil

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
THe washers on some faucets, if they get loose, can move, and act like you're turning the water on/off at a rapid rate, creating water hammer, but normally, if the valve is working properly, if it is going to occur, it happens only when you turn water off, not while it is flowing. Sounds like something in the original PRV wasn't sealing properly, and the seal was chattering. Since water doesn't compress, starting and stopping or slowing it significantly, the inertia can move things, making some very annoying sounds! Glad you figured out your problem.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks