DWV Layout

Users who are viewing this thread

tombat

Reaction score
I notice how you are doing the laundry tie in now. I would suggest a full size 4" cleanout installed there so if the mail line ever needs cleaning the plumber has a straight shot out.

OK, are you suggesting I run the 4†past the laundry tie in or put a cleanout at the end of the 4†horizontal run? If you look closely (I know, difficult with pictures) but where I plan to tie in the 2†from the laundry/sink used to be a cleanout. I planned on bringing the drains into the stubbed out two inch on the horizontal 4†but that put the sink too high.

So, if I put a 4†to 2" wye there with a cleanout, I should be able to keep the utility sink at a reasonable height. Also, if you notice the 4†pipe is at an angle that runs it right into the south wall. Should I turn the pipe so the cleanout is perpendicular to the south wall – this leaves about a 120 degree turn. If I leave the cleanout parallel to the wall, it will only give about 3 feet of access in front.

On second thought skip that cleanout I suggested earlier...
It would be useless as you have it configured.

So please, why don’t you elaborate on some of these suggestions you make. You suggested something, I asked for clarification. You do not respond until after I’ve re-done the work and you say it’s useless. Yet you still haven’t clarified what you are suggesting – you just say it is wrong.

Thanks for the help.

Tom

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Sorry for the lackof guidance on this...
Business kept me away for a few says.
The cleanout is pointed downward and towards a wall.
The downward point will mean that it is always full of water and sludge making opening it messy to say the least.
The downward point and having the wall in the way makes it impossible to use.
The machine used for cleaning a main line is fairly large, usually mounted on a handtruck, and has a stiff cable that exits the machine at a bout 16" above the floor. To get it inthis cleanout requires first a downward bend then an upward bend. The cable is like a spring that is turning and winding up. you have to control it with your hands. One bend is doable 2 is a recipie for injury.

Ihope that this insite provides the necessary guidance for placement of the cleanout.

tombat

Reaction score
Thanks for the response - sorry if I came across a little annoyed. I realize answering my questions isn't you primary task in life.

You actually could have elaborated a little less and I would have understood.

A simple "the bends are too tight for the sewer machine" probably would have worked.

I'm familar with the sewer machines as I had one sitting in that exact spot shortly after I bought the house. Had a "major" rooter company out who snaked it for a while and concluded the main line needed to be replaced. Called a local one man sewer cleaning operation and he had it cleared in about an hour and all he used was a water hose.

Anyway, back to the cleanout. I'm not sure what other location options I have but I'll see what I can come up with.

I'm currently working on getting a plumber in to verify compliance to code.

Thanks again.

Tom

tombat

Reaction score
Had a plumber out this afternoon. Younger guy who is in the process of studying for his journeymans license. Seemed knowledgeable on the codes and the local inspectors.

He only identified three problems, all of which have already been pointed out.

The santee on its back for the utility sink drain
The threaded p-trap for the washer. (has to be a glue trap or I have to provide an acess panel)
And the 2" vent 90s that hj pointed out early on (I used 4 of them). Guess I should have listened. The vent 90s are only allowed in the attic.

He said the cleanout wasn't ideal but he thought it was acceptable. Also said the full size vent wasn't required. The 4" 90 at the top of the drain is acceptable and doesn't need to be a long sweep.

All the problems are easy fixes and will be handled.

Thanks again for all the input.

Tom

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I didn't realize you are in Seattle.
I was in Seattle yesterday doing plumbing.

I hope the plumber that came out was paid for his time.

I and most good plumbers no longer do free estimates.
Plumbers get paid for their time.
With the Seattle traffic, and the price of gas, and our extensive construction knowledge, it's the right thing.

I use a lot of flat rate pricing, so I spend very little time working up quotes. The jobs have priced themselves by averaging out the variables.
It saves both the homeowner and the contractor time, and that means money too.

tombat

Reaction score
I didn't realize you are in Seattle.
I was in Seattle yesterday doing plumbing.

I actually considered calling you - but didn't.

I hope the plumber that came out was paid for his time.

He got paid his hourly rate. The dispatcher was hesitant to send him out at first but I made it clear I expected to be charged.

Plumbers get paid for their time.
With the Seattle traffic, and the price of gas, and our extensive construction knowledge, it's the right thing.

I agree, only I would change it to "Everyone should get paid for their time". I don't expect anyone to come to my house for free and help me with a project. Now if people want to offer up free advice on the internet, well, that's different.

Tom

NHmaster

Master Plumber
Reaction score
After the last fiasco, you gentlemen will please take note of the incredible restraint offered by the author of this post:D

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks