dwv layout review

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & ' started by teeman11, Jan 26, 2012.

1. teeman11

teeman11 New Member

Hi, I'm looking for a little feedback on updating my dwv. I've attached 2 images, one is the floor plan, basically two stacked bathrooms and kitchen right next to the first floor bath room. Currently there are no vents for the shower, tub and laundry, there is no laundry sink, and the vent for the kitchen sink is about 6" below the the flood line instead of above. Also, there is a mix of cast iron, pvc and copper. I'm hoping to fix all of that. I'd like to start with just the layout out so assuming the correct pipe size, slope and connections how does this look?

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/80/15448964.jpg/
    http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/718/29139244.jpg/

Thanks,
    Teeman
  2. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

IT looks good. We have to take your word for it that it is the best design, however.
  3. teeman11

teeman11 New Member

No way! So you're say that the venting would be correct? I mean, I know there is still a lot that I need to figure out ie sizes and fittings etc. but.. I read these type posts a lot and I don't think I've ever seen a " it looks good" as the first reply. Wait, you not joking with me right?
  4. teeman11

teeman11 New Member

FYI this is what it looks like right now.

untitled3.jpg
  5. teeman11

teeman11 New Member

So I've added the fittings. I assume everything needs the 1/4" per 4' slope, down for drains and up for vents?

Should I use wyes and 45s for the combo y 1/8?
    The elbow at the bottom of the two sinks stack, what should I use there?
    thanks,

dwv4.jpg
  6. teeman11

teeman11 New Member

Any issues with my fittings?
  7. hj

Somebody must have coached you since the first drawing. Most of the vents only have to be 1 1/2" pipe, but 2" is okay. Combo or Y and 1/8 bends are equal.
  8. teeman11

teeman11 New Member

I have been doing a lot of reading and forum lurking for awhile now. For the vents, if most can be 1 1/2" which ones HAVE to be 2". I'm guessing that most of them can be 1 1/2" until a few merge together on the upper floor?
  9. hj

Toilet vents normally have to be 2", and it depends on the fixture load when the merged 1 1/2" lines have to become 2".
  10. teeman11

teeman11 New Member

So the toilet + shower vent on the first floor remains 2" and the toilet + tub/ shower on the second floor remains 2". The other vent stack is sinks, the one on far left is a kitchen sink which ties into the first floor bathroom sink, and then the second floor bathroom sink can all of that be 1 1/2"? Also, the laundry vent needs to be 2" right?

Thanks,
    T