DWV dilemma

Users who are viewing this thread

DanF

Reaction score
I am remodeling an existing 2nd story bathroom and plan on adding a new tub. The plan is to tie into the existing waste line (3" cast iron - horizontal run) with a neoprene sanitary tee. This tie-in is about 2 feet (down) from the existing toilet tie in. The toilet is connected to the waste line with what looks like a "y" fitting and is vented with the same 3" cast iron pipe about 5 feet on the other side.

Question: If I tie into this waste line in this manner do I need to add a separate vent line and if so where?

[I]"Fearless DIYer".......will try any project ...once!

(see attached "crude" diagram)........sorry guys but I'm no architect. Thanks for the help.

Attachments

• bathroom.jpg
    bathroom.jpg
    16.9 KB · Views: 676
Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
vent

You especially need a vent there because the toilet will be draining past the tub/shower opening. And what is a "neoprene tee"? If it is a rubber one you cannot use it at all.

DanF

Reaction score
2 follow-up questions on venting

Thanks alot for the input guys........2 other questions:

In lieu of a neoprene (rubber) tee, I will use an ABS sanitary tee and clamp couplings to connect to the cast iron pipe......I am working between a 16" floor joist and have limited space.....so is it OK to use a sanitary tee as the tie in or must I try to fit a wye tee?

Must the vent for the tub drain be located in line between the tub p-trap and tee tie-in (highlighted in blue on diagram) to the waste line or can I locate the it between the toilet tie-in and tub tee (highlighted in yellow on diagram) - the reason I would want to put it there is because I can run the vent pipe up inside of a wall.

Thanks Again

EAP

Reaction score
It looks like your drains run horizonatally correct?

You can not use a sanitary tee as a drain fitting in a horizonatal run of pipe. You must use a Wye instead. Setting a tee on its back is not permissable for drains.

If you used an auto vent (Air admittance valve) [if code approved] it must be accessible and at least 4 inches above the top of the trap set back into a vent tee. Or you need to place a traditional vent no further than 3 feet from the trap.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks