DWV Design Video

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & ' started by Nate R, Jan 25, 2008.

1. Nate R

Nate R New Member

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHljh7sqZqE

Please take a look at my video. Roughly done, and not sure why the vid is so blurry. But I think it's all visible.

-Left trap would be for a bathtub. Right for a lav. (Assume a 1 1/4" trap that then goes to a 1 1/2" pipe)

-Assume proper 1/4" / FT slope.

-1 1/2" PVC for all of it except the bottom 1/8/Wye Combo. That combo would join 2" that would be existing.

-Elbows need to go around a chimney. I have them as long sweeps. Can I go to normal Sanitary sweeps or not?

-Don't know what fitting I should use to join and continue the vents. (The part where there is no fitting) Straight Tee or do I use an upside down Santee? If so, why?

-Anything wrong?

-Add a cleanout anywhere? (I have the one cleanout at the left end.
  2. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

dwv

Not sure why it had to be a video. I assume the lavatory trap is going to be a lot higher relative to the tub drain than you show it. Otherwise, on the surface, it appears to be okay. The vent connection can be any fitting you want, vent tee, inverted san tee, inverted combination Y-1/8 bend, or an inverted Y with an 1/8 bend. At that point it is immaterial.
  3. Nate R

Nate R New Member

I made it a video because i couldn't get a view that showed all the fittings, and I wanted to see if I understood that part of the software.

Yes, the trap height of the sink would be higher.

Thanks for your input!
  4. srdenny

srdenny Plumbing Contractor

All those 1/4 bends downstream could be trouble when the soap scum and hair start to build up some years down the road.
  5. Nate R

Nate R New Member

Yeah, I thought about that, but the only straighter route would be through quite a few joists.

I'll evaluate as I actually put it together. I'm assuming that 2 45s with a straight piece between them of any sort is better than one 90? I'll see when I get there, I may be able to do 2 45s instead of the 2 horizontal 90s.

I think I'll make sure there's easily accessible cleanouts and maybe use the organism based drain cleaner every few years while I still live here. Can't hurt.
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2008
  6. enriquehobart

enriquehobart Plumber

DWV video

You did a nice job on the video and on the design of the DWV. Have fun!