Durock Board without tiles in bathtub

Users who are viewing this thread

Musiclvr56

Reaction score
I just had Durock Board hung on my bathtub wall and have a shower curtain hung in front of it. Reputable tile contractors are busy for a few months out. Do I need to be concerned that water can seep through the board after a certain period of time? Also, is it not advisable to have a carpenter install the tiles. I read an article stating that tiles look better than a tub surround "if it is done right". Thanks!

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The Durock itself wouldn't be damaged, but I'd be worried about any soap residue left on it being a bond breaker, making installation of tile later prone to failure.

When that is installed, generally, a vapor barrier is installed behind it to prevent water vapor from penetrating the wall and damaging the studs. Moisture won't damage the material itself. While it may not look great, I'd consider draping some plastic sheeting over it to protect it from soap and shampoo residue from contaminating the surface. Or, consider installing the tile yourself.

Musiclvr56

Reaction score
I googled durock and after reading and learning am now worried because the contractor just affixed the durock to the studs. This is what I read:"With no poly attached to the studs or Kerdi or Hydroban applied to the Durock surface, there is nothing to prevent the studs from rotting away eventually" I assume I am going to need to have the durock removed and apply something to the studs?
Thank you so much-the last thing I need is to have water go behind my walls.

Jadnashua

Reaction score
Durock, properly installed, wouldn't let liquid water there, but water vapor, yes. That's why you use a vapor barrier there. The alternative is to install a surface waterproofing on the tile side of the board. There are numerous sheet waterproofing membranes or liquid applied ones, that, if installed properly, prevent both liquid and vapor from penetrating. If you use a sheet, like Kerdi, you don't have to tape and thinset the seams first. If you decide on a paint-0n version of surface waterproofing, you do need to use the alkali resistant tape on the seams and thinset, let that cure at least a day, then, you can paint on the waterproofing. RedGard and HydroBan are two of the more readily available ones.

Jadnashua

Reaction score
system duplicated my message...second time today. Cleared it out...sorry. Can't delete, not enough privileges.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks