Duravit metro toilet defective part and replacement problem

Users who are viewing this thread

chaydgc

Reaction score
I installed a Duravit Metro toilet as part of a renovation in 2010 (well, my contractor did), and about 2 months ago the toilet seat started wiggling and soon thereafter came apart-- the plastic washers surrounding the 2 screws connecting the toilet seat to the toilet completely crumbled, and the nuts (? sorry I am not sure of the terminology-- the things that sat within the holes in the porcelain and were designed to hold the screws) simply lifted out.

Duravit sent me a replacement seat, and replacement 'nuts', but they are different to the ones I had previously. The original nuts were simply metal housing that dropped straight into the holes and were secured by that (now disintegrated) plastic washer. The ones I received are themselves fully housed in hard plastic and have a central bulge that must somehow be inserted in the porcelain hole to become secure. The Duravit technician said they'd changed their parts and that the nuts he sent were what they were now using. When I asked about providing installation support (in as much as the original toilet had been defective) he said a) there was no defect; b) 'nuts' were designed to come inside the toilet and not be inserted from outside, and c) should only be installed by a professional.

When I said that I had had professional installation just 2 years ago and didn't feel I should be responsible to pay for repairs on what (again, it seems to me) are defective parts, he suggested using 'water or a lubricant' and a hammer! to get them to go in. I've tried water and silicone grease (recommended by Home Depot), and despite my misgivings about smashing the porcelain, also applied a hammer. Not a budge.

Three questions:

1) has anyone else has a similar experience with Duravit metro toilets? if so, how did you resolve?
2) does anyone have any other advice about how I might get these 'nuts' to slip into their holes?
3) does anyone have any recommendation about how to elevate the issue within the company?

I appreciate your help. I've been without a toilet for a month now and it's not looking good.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Is the screw installed in the anchor? If so, remove the screw, or loosen it. Those are designed to bulge out as you tighten the screw in them, expanding to hold it in place in the hole. If the screw is installed, it's already expanded - it will lengthen and get slimmer when you loosen the screw.

chaydgc

Reaction score
yes, the screw is within the plastic anchor. How do I get it out? Apologize for the foolish question and very much appreciate your help.

Jadnashua

Reaction score
Now you've somewhat confused me...post a picture of what you're trying to install/remove. If the screw is in the now old, broken adapter in teh toilet, and you can't unscrew it, you may need to hold it with something like ViceGrips, and use a hacksaw to cut the old screw shaft (the part left would just fall in it shouldn't be an issue). But, I'm not there, and can't see it. Use of a hacksaw would need some care, otherwise you'll scratch/discolor the porcelain.

chaydgc

Reaction score
There is no adapter in the toilet. Just a hole. They sent a new adapter/screw/nut to be inserted in the hole to hold the screw. That's what I can't get to go in (as I said in my first post, they told me it should have come installed and then recommended the lubricant-hammer method....) Hope these images come through. One is the original nut sitting aside the porcelain hole. Other is new screws sitting as far as they will go.

I thought you were advising that I should try to remove the metal from within the plastic housing and was asking how to do this.

Thanks again.

Sorry my attempts at uploading the images seem not to be working so far.

Last edited:

Jadnashua

Reaction score
To attach a picture (or any attachment), scroll down to the manage attachment section or the reply page and use that to upload the pics. If the adapter doesn't get small enough without the screw inserted, I doubt you'll get it to work. While designs vary, on that type of anchor, the screw either goes through wedges that cause it to bulge out when tightened, or it bulges out by shortening it (the now compressed material has to go somewhere, so it bulges out).

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
As for warranty, a toilet seat is a consumable item, used in an environment the manufacturer cannot control. I don't know about Duravit, but the mainstream companies like Bemis and Beneke do not offer any warranty that I know of. Just like the brakes on the car...they are expected to wear out.

chaydgc

Reaction score
I've been following those procedures to attach files but repeatedly get 'upload of file failed' messages. At any rate, I am also inclined to think these plastic nuts will not go into the holes. So I am back to questions regarding dealing with the company to achieve resolution. Anyone have any experience/names of responsible authorities to share?

chaydgc

Reaction score
Thanks for this-- the part that disintegrated was a part that the technician is telling me came installed inside the toilet, and is not designed to be installed from outside. And yet it crumbled within 2 years. I haven't ever seen a toilet fall apart period, and unless Duravit wants to say their toilets are designed for a 2 year life span, I'd call this one defective.

Jadnashua

Reaction score
For the top access type fasteners, if there's something in the existing hole, sometimes you just have to poke it down into the recesses of the toilet so you have a 'virgin' hole. Then, insert the new bit, tighten it down, and it expands and clamps things in place.

chaydgc

Reaction score
Thanks for persisting in your attempts to help. To be clear: there is NOTHING in the hole.

The problem is getting the new fitting inserted in the hole that it might accept the screw to attach the toilet seat.

For the top access type fasteners, if there's something in the existing hole, sometimes you just have to poke it down into the recesses of the toilet so you have a 'virgin' hole. Then, insert the new bit, tighten it down, and it expands and clamps things in place.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks