"dummy" overflow gismo in tub

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & ' started by valelrie923, Aug 15, 2011.

1. valelrie923

valelrie923 New Member

I live in a 6 year old townhome condominium community so fixtures are new. The overflow drain in the tub in my guest bedroom does not function. It is there with an opening under the round metal gadget but water does not go in, down or out of the tub when filled to the brim. I have tried and so did another resident.

Is it possible that this is a "dummy" and only looks proper for inspection and passing code regulations? Or is this overflow not required?

Thank you

Valerie
  2. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

Or it may be that there is a test plug or cap in the overflow.
  3. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

Tke the "round metal gadget" off and LOOK at it. Do not be like the Greek philosophers who debated for weeks about how many teeth a horse has, until someone actually opened a horse's mouth and counted them. WE can debate ad infinitum about what you COULD have and NEVER get the right answer until we actually see it.
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2011
  4. BobL43

BobL43 DIY Senior Member

And so the obvious answer was there all the time.
  5. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

I don't know about obvious.
    Like hj mentions, you can guess, or you can pull the cover off and look.