Dumb, probably repeat laundry standpipe question

Users who are viewing this thread

davgoo

Reaction score
If I'm using 2" pipe and I'm within 5' of the main 4" drain stack, can I just tie a laundry standpipe to it and be done without additional venting? Thanks!

davgoo

Reaction score
Fair enough. Can I tie back into that same stack as a vent, like I attached?

Attachments

• P1150481.jpg
    P1150481.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 354

davgoo

Reaction score
So realistically I'm looking at an AAV (if permitted, I haven't researched) or ... what? There's no existing plumbing down here so ... tying into the dry side of the kitchen plumbing upstairs? Running a new vent up through two stories to the roof?

Mik_15

Reaction score
I'm fairly new to this whole plumbing gig but as I understand it, yes, you would have to run the vent to the floor above and have it tie into an existing vent, or add a new one to the stack above the highest fixture (existing vents should be like this) for it to be correct.

Someone chime in if this is wrong.

davgoo

Reaction score
You can't wet vent between floors. The waste develops too much speed down the pipe for that to work.
Wet venting is for bathroom sets, on the same floor. You don't drop toilet waste over anything. That's called siphoning the p-trap, not venting.
Install an AAV on the trap arm, at the least.

I won't ask anyone to speak to Iowa code, but from a "good plumbing ideas" perspective, is an AAV sufficient for a clothes washer?

/eta reminder of use case

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
If you are not being inspected, you can try it. If the room fills with sewer gas, it's a pretty clear indication that the trap is siphoning.
Using a long riser for the vent will help to protect the AAV from becoming contaminated

davgoo

Reaction score
OK, reanimating an old thread, sorry. Still thinking about this project.

Since I'm working in the basement, and there's a floor drain, I think there's a vent for the drain... It's not as close as in this example photo but I can't imagine what else it could be.

index.php

Two questions.
1) How can I prove that pipe's the vent for the floor drain and nothing else? Instinctively I'm thinking I turn on every faucet in the house and listen for water running down the pipe, but is there a better way?
2) If it is the floor drain vent, is it safe to assume that I can vent the washer to this pipe above the flood level of the washer? Thanks!

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
If it is a dry vent, then yes, you can tie in another fixture vent. The new vent coming from the standpipe must be pitched to drain any incoming rainwater and/or condensation.

davgoo

Reaction score
And I guess additionally, can I drain the washer into this? I think the answer is no because the washer would siphon the floor's trap out?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks