Ductless heat pump question

Users who are viewing this thread

Jim Brundle

Reaction score
I hope I'm asking this in the right forum. If not, I apologize.

I have a two storey house with basement in Nova Scotia, Canada. It's 750 sq ft per floor, and the main floor is open, with an largish open staircase. I'm thinking of an 12, 000 or 18,000 BTU Mitsubishi heat pump on the main floor, but I'm concerned that the heat will simply flow the stairs.

Right now I'm heating with oil hot water with four zones.

What do people think of a heat pump on this scenario? I can upload a floor plan if that helps.

Jim

Dana

In the trades
Reaction score
A room by room heat load calculation and a 99% outside design temp would be more useful than a floor plan.

Heat load is not a function of floor area or floor plane, it's a function of exterior shell construction type (and R-values), air tightness and the difference in indoor & outdoor temperatures. The floor plan would be of some relevance for figuring out whether or not point-source heating such as ductless heat pumps or wood/pellet stoves would be reasonable or not. It's likely that an open-floor plan zone would work just fine with a single wall-coil type mini-split head, but the other zones may be amenable to ductless solutions too. We'd still need to know the heat load of that zone to size it correctly to be able get the full benefit.

We could get a rough idea of the whole-house heat load if we know how much oil you use in a year, and your exact location (for weather data, including 99% outside design temp.)

The Mitsubishi SEZ/SUZ KAxx dedicated mini-duct cassette mini-splits are sometimes applicable where point-source heating doesn't cut it, but the room-by-room heat loads & floor plans are important for figuring out whether that's better than the somewhat higher efficiency wall-coil type units.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks