Duct for a Kitchen hood

Users who are viewing this thread

Jeff1

Reaction score
We're in the process of remodeling our kitchen. Part of it is moving the cook top to a different wall. This includes moving the range hood. To properly duct it, do I need a new exhaust through the roof or can I run the duct from the new location and tie into the current roof duct?

Thanks for all your great advice.

FloridaOrange

Plumbing Designer
Reaction score
There are limitations which should be outlined in your hood mfr. recommendations but for most houses that will work.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
hood

In a commercial kitchen routing to the existing duct would be a bad idea because of grease accumulation. In a residence that is not even a consideration so you should have no problem using the old duct opening.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The hood instructions will (or usually are anyway) explicit about the maximum distance, the size required, and the amount of elbows allowed in connection of the ductwork. There is no guarantee the size of the duct you have or the extra length or elbows you have to install to reach it would work...you must read the instructions. The ideal path is as short as possible with no turns, but that doesn't happen often. I did that on mine because I just went through an exterior wall, but if you don't have good grease filters, or you have an adjacent window, you may not like the results.

Jeff1

Reaction score
Thanks for the inputs. It looks like I'll use the original duct and any new hold in the roof.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks