Dual zone vs. Single zone?

Users who are viewing this thread

zombieman

Reaction score
I'm shopping for a mini-split heat pump and noticed that the dual zone units are alot more expensive than the single zone units. What is the difference in the two? Thanks.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Some actually use a separate compressor for each zone. Some use a separate evaporator for each zone. Duplicating the expensive bits adds to the cost.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
I'm shopping for a mini-split heat pump and noticed that the dual zone units are alot more expensive than the single zone units. What is the difference in the two? Thanks.

Well, for starters, you have an extra indoor unit. Also, you will have a bigger compressor. LG is now using some very fancy technology, a "variable" compressor.

I am guessing a dual zone unit costs less than 2 single zone units>???

Alternety

Like an engineer
Reaction score
A factor in considering this is will the single zone coil provide even heat in the required area. In point of fact, will a dual zone accomplish this.

It is effectively a window installed heater. Can you heat or cool what needs to be conditioned from such a unit without other air circulation. If no, and you do not have such an air circulation system, you have a problem. Since heat pumps tend to have low "warm air" temperatures to start with, this could be problematic.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks