Dual Shower Head Installation - Moentrol?

Users who are viewing this thread

philgristle

Reaction score
What a great site. I am currently remodeling my bathroom (formerly pinnk tile, black bullnose).

Doing pretty well thus far. I can handle general plumbing techniques (sweating, cutting, waste, etc.), and have remodeled about ten bathrooms over the years.

For this one, I plan to install a dual shower head system in a stand up three wall alcove. Fairly standard layout.

I read, in another thread, good advice from clayton that almost answers my question. He recommended the Moentrol pressure control valve with two ports - giving me the solution of using A, B, or A and B shower heads at the same time.

Perfect.

However, he warns that there might be pressure issues. How can I check to see if I have enough H2O pressure to satisy the needs for the two shower head system?

Keep in mind that since plumbing is not my "gig", I probably don''t have access to specialized tools, etc. Perhaps a suggestion: can it be rented, etc. would help.

Thanks in advance for any advice on this. I would hate to go all the way through the project, and find out after the fact that the boss' (my wife) dream shower won't work.

Phil

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Many of the manufacturers suggest running multiple showerheads via a loop rather than single ended. That way, the pressure will be the same at both (all). Two heads shouldn't be more than 5 gpm. Most valves can supply that unless your feed lines are old and corroded (like galvanized lines). You might pick up a pressure gauge...around $10 that you can screw onto a hose bib to check your static pressure. Unless you are one a well, it is probably okay.

philgristle

Reaction score
Thanks for both replies, Jim.

For the swanstone, I am firring out the backerboard for ease of "dropping in" the pan.

Also did a "reality" test with a water jug and open line, flows at about 6 GPM, so I will probably be OK.

Phil

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks