Dual sensor Dual head motion light?

Discussion in 'Electrical Forum discussion & Blog' started by sandyman720, Sep 26, 2007.

1. sandyman720

sandyman720 New Member

Are motion lights made that have 2 lamps and 2 separate motion sensors?
  2. jwelectric

jwelectric Electrical Contractor/Instructor

I have installed a dozen motion sensors on just one head so I would think that you can arrange them in the fashion your mind can imagine.
  3. sandyman720

sandyman720 New Member

I want 2 lamps and 2 sensors on 1 mounting. That way I can put it on the eve overhang and aim 1 down 1 wall and the other down the other wall.

Do they make them like this?
  4. jwelectric

Yes

If you have two sensors in the same spot they will over ride each other.

EDIT for spelling
    thought that you spelled 2 as tow
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2007
  5. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

I've not seen one like that...doesn't mean they don't exist. Simple answer, install two separate units.
  6. jwelectric

The problem with two sensors and two heads at the same location is they will interfere with each other. Either both lights will come on at the same time or one light will tell the other sensor that it is daytime and it will not work.

I have installed sensors all around a building so that any movement will turn on all the lights through a contactor.
  7. frenchie

frenchie Jack of all trades

Couldn't you just wire one sensor to one light, the other sensor to the other light? No seeing why there'd be interference in that case...

Of course, I'm not sure they make a 4-hole lampholder cover, which you would need for that setup.
  8. jwelectric

Yes and I have done just this.

The problems I have found is that one sensor comes on and tell the other sensor that it is day time so it doesn't work.
    Then if something is in the motion range of both sensors then both lights come on which defeats the purpose of two sensors.

The best outcome would be one sensor and two lights.
  9. sindikeesan

sindikeesan New Member

How do we wire two (outdoor) remote sensors and one 2-way (or two 3-way) light switches to control one light fixture?

What readily accessible brand/model would work best for this?

We want the porch light to come on when someone exits the house onto the porch, or approaches the porch from outside, with manual override. The porch light will be placed so as to shine on the steps and front walk.