Dual flush, one piece toilet wanted - with adequate water depth to keep from smelling

Users who are viewing this thread

Bettyj

Reaction score
Did the research. Now know I want a dual flush, one piece gravity fed toilet with MaP flushing scores close to 1000 and adequate water depth to keep from smelling like sewage. The Toto Acquia and the Caroma Caravelle seem like the best candidates, however both appear to have the tiniest pool of water and it has been noted that this causes smelling and smearing problems.
Is there another toilet out there that you think may fit our needs/desires? Thanks very much.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The gravity dual flush I have the most experience with is the TOTO and the Caroma.
Small water spots, and lot's of uncovered bowl area.
The TOTO stays the cleaner of the two. Water depth is fine for what is needed though. I sold a pressure assist dual flush for a short while, but it was a disaster.
You may want to look at the standard flush Watersense bowls. They use 1.28 gallons, get the rebates where available, have more water in the bowl and may come with a cleaner washing glaze. I sell a lot of the II series in the TOTO line for that. Double cyclone rinse, CEFIONTECT and they are WaterSense.

Bettyj

Reaction score
Thank you for a quick, thorough reply! Guess I will compare 1.28 water sense to dual flush. If water savings is close, will choose a II series Toto; if not, will still choose the dual flush Toto based on your experience. Thanks!

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Terry certainly has all the answers for you.

Based on my lesser experience, my only comment is that everything "green" has side effects. FL and LED bulbs often not dimmable. FL have slow start and variable "color" results. Low water washing machines damage clothes. Low water dishwashers have a 4 hour cycle time.

And with toilets, a common side effect of the design for low water is small water spot! You came to the right source to help you sort out the orchids from the onions in the batch!

Chad Schloss

Reaction score
I just ordered the Caroma ADA height fully skirted Caravelle, part # 989668W for my rental house. We have 3 Caroma's at our house that we live in. Yes, the water spot is low, yes they do smear if your diet isn't perfect. they also splash a little here and there, but they will flush everything. have had them installed now for at least 3 years, if not 5, i can't remember. I wanted the fully skirted bowl on this one for easy cleaning and a nice look. I really wanted to try out a Toto, but couldn't find one for the price I paid for this one. They do save water if you use them as intended. (using half flush vs full flush). my buddy who first informed me about the Caroma line told me to stop smearing, he first lays some toilet paper in the bowl to cover the area above the water line and then does his business. I haven't tried that, so I don't know if it would be of help or not. If it is a smelly #2, then i reach back and 'courtesy flush' and that gets rid of that. hope this helps.

Last edited:

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
What it appears to me is you want the best of two worlds. You want the dual flush, and you can't be faulted for that. But, you also want the large water spot, and you can be faulted for that either. Problem is, you can have it both ways. As me dad always preached to me, "You can't eat you cake and have it too". I think you're going to have to pick which criteria you want the most.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
To ensure you remove all the waste in the bowl, you have to flush it all away rather than just dilute it. This means that on a dual flush system, your bowl can't hold more than the lower flush volume. Now, you can spread it out for a large water spot, but then it isn't very deep. Or you can make it deeper, but the spot becomes smaller. Most opt for the smaller spot so it can be deeper.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks