Dual Flush model for new construction

Discussion in 'Toilet Forum discussions' started by midwestjo, Apr 15, 2007.

1. midwestjo

midwestjo New Member

We are building a new home and wanted to put dual flush models in all of the bathrooms. We have been researching these for quite some time I had a few questions before we make a final decision.

We had pretty much decided on the Toto Aquia, but I have read reviews that it can be difficult to install. Here in the Midwest most plumbers have never installed a dual flush toilet before, is it really a problem?

We also have three small kids and I am worried about the small water spot. We saw the Gerber dual flush in a showroom and noticed that it seems to have a normal sized water spot.

I think we have eliminated Kohler's dual flush model based on what we have read about it and the Caroma model because it has been difficult to find.

If you were to decide between the Gerber and the Aquia which would you choose? Are there any other deciding factors I am not considering?

[​IMG]
    Toto Aquia
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 19, 2008
  2. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

The aquia uses an adapter that gets mounted to the floor, then the toilet gets attached to the adapter. It's pretty simple. Any plumber should be able to handle it without problems. If you have a tiled floor, you might need a diamond bit to drill the mounting holes. If you don't then, it can take a long time to try to drill through some hard porcelain tile. WIth the right tool, it's quick and easy. As long as they are aware of that and come prepared, it should not take much longer than with a "normal" toilet. With the skirted design, the back is a little wider than most toilets and can cover the location where a standard supply valve would fit - it needs to be a little further off-center. This is easy during contruction, but needs to be specified to the rough-in people.
  3. midwestjo

midwestjo New Member

RE: Auqia advice

Jim, thanks for the reply, is the mounting adaptor included when you order the toilet from Toto? I am ordering from a supply house, but on my own so I need to know if I need to order the adaptor for my plumber to install.

Also, when you say you need to set the supply off-center, I do not quite understand that, how do you explain that to them at rough in? Our new house is being roughed in now and we will not have the toilets here when they do the rough in. I have downloaded the spec sheet from Toto, will that explain what you are talking about?
  4. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

The Toto Aquia and the Dual Flush Gerber use the standard 12" rough-in and normal offset for the water supply.

Both toilets come complete, less seat.

Plumbers should have the closet bolts, wax and supply tube.
    The Aquia works well with the 16" flexible supply.
    Environmentally friendly and green building product.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2010