Dual bathroom sink clog

Users who are viewing this thread

LarryinAz

Reaction score
Dual bathroom sink clog (see pics at bottom).

Im a DIY'er but not much experience with plumbing.

I have a dual vanity and both sinks are slow to drain... but they do drain. I can run water in either for approx 30 seconds before it start's to back up into the sink bowl. When one backs up, shortly after, water runs up into the other.

Both P-traps are clean

I've tried to plunge them by blocking one sink's drain & overflow and then using the plunger on the opposite sink, but no luck. I admit, I didn't spend much time plunging because of the nasty/flakey looking buildup that was coming up.

For what it may be worth, the sink on left is rarely used.

I removed some drawers and found a cleanout between the two sinks... unfortunately, in an area where there's not a whole lot of room to manueaver around in.

My intentions are to go at this blockage with a snake.

My questions are as follows:

1. If I remove the cleanout cap, is there likely to be water in that section of plumbing that will leak out... unltimately ending up behind the drywall? Or has water likely drained below this point?

2. The vent pipe on the roof looks to line up with the pipe where the cleanout is. This house has a flat/low roof.... distance from cleanout to top of vent on roof might be 15' tops. Might the vent be the better access point to go about snaking?

Any thoughts, comments or suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks for the great website and to those who contribute here!

I hope these pictures work. They're on flickr.
http://flic.kr/p/8ZFVq5
http://flic.kr/p/8ZCQJi
http://flic.kr/p/8ZCQHi

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
The clog may very well be where the pipe transitions from horizontal to vertical in the wall.
I would pull a trap off a sink and run a snake in through the trap arm first.
If that works, it will be a little easier and cleaner than going after the cleanout.

Jerome2877

In the Trades
Reaction score
If its effecting both sinks then the blockage is probably below the conecctions from horizontal to vertical. That cleanout could be a little difficult to remove, I would go from the roof with a 1/2" cable then possibly clean it with a jetter if needed.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
If you go down from the roof you may need a snake that is 25' long, or more. The cleanout is the only place you can access the drain line from both sinks, UNLESS, you had an intelligent plumber who did NOT use a sanitary cross for the connection, in which case you should be able to snake from the trap connection of either sink.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
It is POSSIBLE that the stoppage is where the two pipes meet, but it is NOT likely to be there. That is a vertical pipe and stoppages usually occur in horizontal pipes, such as under the floor.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks