Users who are viewing this thread

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Yeah,
Nothing like the high speed stuff for forum freaks like us.
I'm on cable now, the download speeds and dsl and cable just keep going up and up.

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
I have had DSL for 4 years and can't even think of life with out it.

Speedbump

Reaction score
I've never had DSL, but love my Cable. I've had it at home for years and finally hooked up with the cable phone and TV. It saved some money. It also saved money to go with Roadrunner light. I'm not keeping that money saver for long, it's speed is not even half of what it used to be. Going forward with higher speeds is great, but going backwards is like going back to the dark ages.

bob...

RochNY

Reaction score
I install DSL for a living up here in NY. We have been so busy lately it's been insane. Winter is usually our slowest months. I guess everyone is jumping on the high speed wagon.

Verdeboy

In the Trades
Reaction score
Just pray you don't have any problems with it. When I lived in Michigan, I had an SBC/Yahoo DSL and had mucho problems with it. I spent hours on the phone talking to someone I could barely understand in India. Wanted to tear my hair out a few times.

RochNY

Reaction score
Good guess Molo, you got me. There something to be said about going local for service, our tech support goes to Canada after hours and we will send a guy out to tweak the lines/computer if we have to. I have heard horror stories about the calls to India.

Pewterpower

Reaction score
Isn't it funny how you can do an upgrade, and be astonished at the new speeds, and then a few weeks later it seems normal?
I upgraded from DSL to Fiber Optic about a year ago. The other day I was at a friends house, whom has DSL, and it was soooooooooooo much slower than my FIOS.
My internet connection is actually faster than my computer. :D

Cookie

Reaction score
The largest outsourcing to India comes from a company called, Infosys Tech. Their symbol is INFY. There outsourcing is costing alot of jobs here in the USA.

I have this school of thought. If, I can't make companies use more of an American company, like Accenture LTD, (their symbol is ACN) then, I could make money off of their stock. The Infosys Tech, is considered a growth fund, while the American company, Accenture is not.

RochNY said:
Good guess Molo, you got me. There somethingh to be said about going local for service, our tech support goes to Canada after hours and we will send a guy out to tweak the lines/computer if we have to. I have heard horror stories about the calls to India.

RochNY

Reaction score
Pewterpower said:
Isn't it funny how you can do an upgrade, and be astonished at the new speeds, and then a few weeks later it seems normal?
I upgraded from DSL to Fiber Optic about a year ago. The other day I was at a friends house, whom has DSL, and it was soooooooooooo much slower than my FIOS.
My internet connection is actually faster than my computer. :D

DSL has issues with how far you are from the office. The closer the faster your connection will be. Right now we can pull about 6 meg to about 3 miles out from the office or DL. There other things such as bridge taps on the line and inside wiring configurations that can slow the connection down. New software technology is also helping us get faster speeds. His connection could have been as slow as 1 meg and his computer could have issues also. The cable guys are saying they can get up to 10 meg out here....but I have yet to see it. Fiber is still a ways from coming here, even so the signal will still slow down a ton if it hits copper or coax at the side of the house to the modem.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks