Drywall on ceiling above shower question

Users who are viewing this thread

NewGuy

Reaction score
I used regular (type x) 5\8" drywall on the ceiling above the shower. The ceiling previously had 1\2" plywood with cellulose ceiling tiles (no shower). I removed the tiles and attached the drywall to the ceiling joists (24" spacing) and the plywood. I used mesh tape at the seam at first but after reading opinions on mesh tape and premix joint compound, I added paper tape over the mesh (tapered joint).

Will this be okay (paper tape and premix)? I figured the drywall is paper anyway so paper tape should not increase the mold risk. I am using zinnseir primmer and two coats of ceiling paint with Krud cutter antimold additive.

Thanks

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
It really depends on how well you ventilate the room after a shower. Industry standards say anything above the showerhead is not a wet area, and a good coat of paint should work. A fan with a timer or humidistat that gets used after a shower is a good idea.

Reaction score
Drywall on a bathroom ceiling is fine.

I would have gone with Benjamin Moore Aura Bath and Spa, but what you got is fine too.
Aura-Bath-Spa-690x426.jpg

NewGuy

Reaction score
It really depends on how well you ventilate the room after a shower. Industry standards say anything above the showerhead is not a wet area, and a good coat of paint should work. A fan with a timer or humidistat that gets used after a shower is a good idea.
Thanks. I installed a Broan heater\exhaust fan vented to outside. I always use the fan in the shower but others in the house don't always so I have considered the humidistat.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Panasonic sells one that will work with any fan...you replace the existing switch with it. They don't make it, but I do not remember who does for them, and it might be cheaper from the OEM verses a Panasonic branded version, but I'd expect they are the same. I put one in at my mother's house in a bathroom usually used by guests so they wouldn't have to think about it. It will run for 20-minutes after it gets triggered, or you can manually turn it on/off.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks