Drywall help and instructions

Users who are viewing this thread

HoneySuckle

Reaction score
Long story short, the drywall guy we hired turned out to be a crook! He did most of the work, and silly me fell for the story about his financial problems so I gave him the last check BEFORE he completed some smaller areas cut by the electrician:( Why do some of these guys make the industry look bad?

Anyway, we have to cut piece of drywall off for the electrician to put back in the switch plate (that area broke), and was wondering about replacing a 1 1/2' x 1 1/2'. What are the steps besides cutting new drywall the size we need, for putting it back up. Do we use tape? Do we use that wire mesh contraption I saw the drywall guy using?

any help would be appreciated.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
What I do when replacing a section of drywall is to cut the width from stud to stud and square off the top and bottom. Then I sister a 2x4 that is slightly longer than the hole is high on to each stud using screws rather than trying to hammer 16 penny nails in a crowded area. This gives a solid backing to each side of the patch. Once the patch is in place, I fill the cracks with mud and spread a thin coat around the edges then apply fiberglass mesh/tape. Use a broad knife to set this mesh into the mud. Don't try to finish the patch with one coat of mud. Let each coat dry then sand lightly to knock off ridges and feather the edges. Then 2 or 3 more thin coats of mud each extending wider than the previous coat, will give you a patch that will not be apparent once the wall is painted. To sand drywall, I use a drywall sanding block with 3M sanding mesh and just wipe over the area. Patching drywall has many "trick" that an help, each depending on the nature of the size and location of the problem.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks