Drywall / ceiling choice for stacked bathrooms with plumbing in between

Users who are viewing this thread

Scott99999

Reaction score
Hello,

We've got two bathrooms stacked - one small one (5x5) on the first floor adjacent to a laundry room, and a second one on the 2nd floor with a small shower. There's space between them for the plumbing (waste and water lines), but the area is generally closed off by joists.

I was going to buy some drywall as a replacement ceiling, and I like the mold-resistance and fire rating of XP.

QUESTION: Is the moisture resistance a plus or a minus for a ceiling between bathrooms like this?

The bathrooms have small windows, so there are no fan(s). I'm wondering if the 2nd floor plumbing will generate some condensation that will get "trapped" due to the moisture resistance of the XP below. Should I put a small vent (no fan) in the 1st floor ceiling to get air into the space between the bathrooms?

THANKS!

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Between floors, there shouldn't be much fresh air migration, so there wouldn't be an excess of moisture to condense. If you insulate the pipes as indicated, they shouldn't reach the dew point, so you shouldn't get any condensation at all. As to the type of drywall, I don't think it really makes much of any difference. Thicker stuff (fire rated) will also block sounds better, though. Before you close it up, would it be possible to add a vent fan for the first floor bath? It's a nicer way to ventilate the room than opening the window, especially in the middle of the winter.

Scott99999

Reaction score
Hello,

Thanks. Is there a preferred insulation for that use? I know there's the armacell foam type and rubber insulation, but I'm a DIYer, so I'm not always clear which gets used in different situations.

I've actually got this same question from another thread of mine (same bathroom) in which I've got to patch 2-3 inches of concrete around a copper baseboard heater pipe. I was going to put insulation around it first to allow expansion/contraction, and assumed the rubber type because it's similar to what's there.

RE: FAN - the fan would be pretty tough in this scenario, mostly because it's a small room and other than venting into the laundry room, I think I'd have to go through a joist. There's a concrete slab underneath, a fireplace chimney behind one wall, two exterior walls, and the laundry room. So, looking up to the ceiling - all you see is joists and plumbing.

Thanks again.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks