Drywall around shower walls question

Users who are viewing this thread

Idoc4u

Reaction score
I am going to install a Kohler/Sterling brand Vikrell 48" shower stall in a newly framed alcove.

My question is in regard to how to drywall around the shower.

I have roughed it in so that I will place greenboard, drywall, or Hardibacker between the studs and the shower walls.

The shower walls have a flange that I will attach to the wallboard which will be attached to the studs.

Once the shower walls are attached to the underlying wallboard, if I then place wallboard over the flange to disguise the flange, will this not cause a bump where the drywall transitions from the studs over the flange on the shower wall? Granted the flange is only 1/8" thick, but I would still think this would make the drywall bow over the flange.

Wouldn't I need to also have 2 layers of wall board on the wall; 1 upon which the shower walls are attached and a second that covers the flange and meets up with a different thickness of wall board away from the shower?

This may not make sense without a picture, which I do not have yet.

If someone could comment on how to handle a situation where the shower is attached to wallboard and then how do you disguise the flanges, I would appreciate the thoughts......Thank you.

JohnjH2o1

Plumbing Contractor for 49 years
Reaction score
There should be no drywall behind the enclosure. The flange should be fastened to the farming.

John

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks