Dryer vent

Discussion in 'Remodel Forum & Blog' started by rayh78, Apr 8, 2009.

1. rayh78

rayh78 New Member

Right now dryer backs up to an outside wall and the vent is about 10†off floor.
    Doing some remodeling and replacing siding. So was thinking of raising the dryer vent to somewhere around 4 ft. off the floor.
    But why have I not seen this install height before am I missing something other than looks?
    Seems easier to connect hose to dryer push dryer back against wall and THEN connect hose to outside vent.
    Seen so many dryers that people connect dryer to vent and then push dryer back to wall and kink hose. Or hose comes loose and they dont even know it.

thanks
  2. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

First, using a flexible hose on your dryer is costing you money and can pose a fire hazard. It slows the flow down and gives places for lint to accumulate, further closing things. A dryer is always best served with metal, smooth walled ducts without screws holding it together to catch lint on.

A more common exhaust vent location is if the duct runs throught the floor joists above the dryer. Now, depending on which way they run, that may or may not be possible or desirable on a retrofit.
  3. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

dryer

The hose would look tacky, the extra length would be detrimental, and you would still have to keep the dryer away from the wall so it could make the bend. Buy a "periscope" duct and connect it between the dryer and wall before you slide the washer into place.
  4. Scuba_Dave

Scuba_Dave Extreme DIY Homeowner

My last house the dryer was off the kitchen
    The event was above the dryer on the right - outside wall
    This house the dryer is in th ebasement & vent was thru a basement window

The periscope duct is the way to go

One advantage if the vent is lower & almost stright thru:
    Lint can't collect as well

Raising the vent up means lint will fall back down & collect at the bottom creating - as stated - a fire hazard
  5. Ian Gills

Ian Gills Senior Robin Hood Guy

I am buying a dryer vent window when I replace my windows. I'll look into a periscope vent then. I think they sell them up to 50".
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2009
  6. rayh78

rayh78 New Member

Thanks for all the suggestions.
    And saves me some work moving it.