Dryer Vent Termination 3 Feet From Opening Into Building

Users who are viewing this thread

fortop

Reaction score
What is the interpretation of International Residential Code (IRC) SECTION M1502 CLOTHES DRYER EXHAUST guidelines:

Exhaust ducts shall terminate on the outside of the building or shall be in accordance with the dryer manufacturer’s installation instructions. Exhaust ducts shall terminate not less than 3 feet (914 mm) in any direction from openings into buildings. Exhaust duct terminations shall be equipped with a backdraft damper. Screens shall not be installed at the duct termination

My neighbor was cited for a local code violation because his dryer vents outside through the exterior wall which is between the bathroom window and the laundry room window. Both windows are located up high in the wall, more than 3 feet above the dryer vent termination, but the vent is laterally (measured straight across the floor line) less than 3 feet from either window.

So, If you put the end of a tape measure on the center of the vent opening and extended the tape out 3 feet, you would move in an arc that would not intersect either window at 3 feet away from the vent. The phrase "in any direction" leads me to believe that the vent only needs to be 3 feet away from an opening in any direction, not over horizontally 3 feet (regardless of the actual distance of the opening from the vent.)

Any thoughts on how this is interpreted in your part of the country. I am in AZ.

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
Tell your neighbor to dispute the citation, if he is 3' or 2'-11" away.

I've been to Tuscon, AZ a few times - I never knew that Tuscon had a building code, from what I've seen around town.

fortop

Reaction score
Tell your neighbor to dispute the citation, if he is 3' or 2'-11" away.

I've been to Tuscon, AZ a few times - I never knew that Tuscon had a building code, from what I've seen around town.

So, the interpretation in your area is a circle drawn 3 feet from the center of the vent to the nearest door or window? Just wondering where I can find that interpretation in some kind of documentation to show the inspector. Thanks.

Oh yeah, most houses built before the 1960s were pretty much without review. Now the city puts a lot of resources into looking for violations. This house in question was built in the 1950s.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks