Dryer vent/ducting

Discussion in 'Remodel Forum & Blog' started by DIY, Feb 21, 2010.

1. DIY

DIY New Member

Hi all,
    Does anybody here have any first hand experience with periscope type duct that is square in shape,and measures 2" x 6" for limited space installations, and is said to work as well as the standard 4" round duct?

Thanks to all!
  2. jimbo

jimbo Plumber

ALthough they are a little flimsy, they seem to work ok. I have not seen any actual test results about air flow. Be sure to tape all joints with foil tape, or you will "leak" lint.
  3. Gary Swart

Gary Swart In the Trades

The only ducting I am aware of the should be avoided is the flexible tubing. That's because the ridges inside catch lint and eventually create a fire hazard.
  4. asktom

asktom Member

We have sold them for years with never a problem. Do tape the joints.
  5. Master Brian

Master Brian DIY Senior Member

Does that hold true if I use about 4' of the flexible aluminum(?) stuff to make a connection to rigid dryer tubing. It was used to simply a sort of complex bend and make connection to the dryer easier. Most of it will eventually be buried behind a finished wall, I'm guessing it should be replaced with rigid pipe. Sorry for the intrusion...