Dryer Thumping

Users who are viewing this thread

Rburt5

Reaction score
My dryer is making a thumping noise when running. I'm guessing that it's the belt. Does that sound about right? What am I getting into if I fix it myself?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
I had this on mine...in my case it was an easy fix.

Open the door, and try to lift the front top of the drum. If it moves more than just a little, it is probably in need of replacing one (or both) of the idler wheels. These are typically a hard rubber roller maybe 4" in diameter and 3/4" thick that support the drum. If you have a gas dryer, the one on the side next to the exhaust tends to get the bronze bearing messed up after time. If you can move the drum, take the covers off and check. The idler should rotate freely without any wobble. You might want to buy a new shaft as well for the roller if that is the case. If that is the problem, the part is (or was, I replaced mine maybe 8 years ago) only about $8.

If that isn't it, somebody else may have some other suggestions. My unprofessional opinion.

Jwray

Reaction score
I vote the same.

As far as what you're getting yourself into - I would say the dryer is the least complicated appliance you have in your home, both electrically and mechanically. Not much inside of there - most of the space between the cabinet and the drum is empty. If you are reasonably handy you will be fine.

Now if you have one of those fancy new dryers with the digital display, drying sensor, etc. the electrical may be compicated, but I bet the mechanical is still the same. I wouldn't know for sure, mine is a 12 year old basic, no frills Kenmore model.

Sears is a great resource for appliance parts for all brands (not just Kenmore). Their website has exploded diagrams for many models and in most cases I've found their parts prices to be better than a specialty shop.

Good luck!

Joel

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks