Drought caused issues ... debris and air throughout all faucets

Users who are viewing this thread

sgallagher

Reaction score
Just signed up to hopefully get some help with my issues, which I think have been caused by this past summer/fall drought in CT. I had the well dry up a couple times last fall.

For the last few weeks I've been experiencing some progressively worsening air surging in the faucets all around the house (not a big house, 1 full bath, laundry, and the typical kitchen) and what looks like well debris making its way through the system. Until recently it didn't seem like a big enough issue and was very mild. I have a noticeable buildup of grit at the faucets and in the toilet. Recently the pump has been making a bit of surging noises and doesn't seem to run as smoothly.

The house has a shallow well, Goulds J5S jet pump (30-50 pressure switch) and 20-gal pressure tank.

I have checked the pressure tank and as of last weekend it was down to about 16psi (empty tank), refilled it to 28psi, then checked last night at it was at around 27psi. I tried to check the well today, only to realize I need a buddy over to help move the massive concrete cover. I've been all around the house and cannot find any drips, leaks, or issues with the copper nor PEX lines. The pressure in the system seems to hold fine for everyday use and the pump isn't cycling more than usual. My only two signs of concern is the air and grit in both hot and cold water.

My thoughts are I have a bad foot valve that may have been damaged in the fall, allowing grit/debris to come into the system. From that I think it may have damaged the internals of the well pump, and maybe damaged the bladder in the pressure tank. Lastly, my brother gave me a whole house filter that he didn't end up using so I think I'll install that along the way.

Would it be overkill to replace/repair each of those parts? A new tank ($200), rebuild the well pump ($130), and replace the foot valve ($20). Maybe a suggested sequence of what to do? Thoughts on what else I can check or test before committing?

Thanks,
Sean

KPS water

Reaction score
sounds like a suction leak? Do you have nylon or pvc fittings on the suction side of the pump? When a jet pump runs dry it gets hot quick! I hade a few jet pumps this fall with melted warped fittings causing a suction leak. Pump leaking? Air in the system can be violent to a plumbing system waking up sand and grit in the pipes and tank. More than likely the sand is from the air?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks