Dropped well cap backing plates down the well, HELP!

Users who are viewing this thread

CT-Sean

Reaction score
So I decided to chlorinate my well the other day and as I was standing outside the hole contemplating how I was going to get in my wife comes out and offers to help so I naturally sent her down in the hole.
Unfortunetly I didn't know what I was doing and when she removed the bolts (which I realize now that we shouldn't have removed) the bolts and pulled the cap the backing plate dropped down the well.
Can I use a magnet and a long stirng to retrieve it or will the magnent just stick to the sides of the well? How bad would it be to just leave them down there?
Should I call a well company, attempt my magnet on a string trick, or just leave them alone at the bottom of the well?I don't know exactly how deep the well is but I'm guessing 150-200 feet, its a 6" bore. It's a jet pump that is located in the basement.

Last edited:

Tom Sawyer

In the Trades
Reaction score
with the pump and the pipe and the wires and all that are down there and the well being a 150' deep or so, you have no chance of getting anything back. Leave it and put a new cap on.

CT-Sean

Reaction score
Thanks.

Ok, thank you, It is actually a jet pump so there is no pump and no wires in the well, just two pipes going down there. Do you still think theres no chance? Is there any chance that the plates will rust and clog the intake over time?

Last edited:

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
It would be good luck if the plates fell to the bottom. If they didn't, they may wedge and keep you from pulling the pipe next time. It is hard to use a magnet with steel casing, but with plastic casing you may be able to get it.

Ballvalve

General Engineering Contractor
Reaction score
with only 2 pipes and the plate smaller than the well diameter, seems like it will just ride up with the pipes.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks