Dropped toilet -- $200 mistake?

Discussion in 'Toilet Forum discussions' started by Perx, Jan 22, 2006.

1. Perx

Perx New Member

Hey everyone, I'm a longtime reader and first time poster. I am a home DIY'er and a newbie to toilets and plumbing. I'm curious and not scared of screwing stuff up, so I got two new Toto Drakes as replacements for a couple stubborn toilets here at the house.

As I was putting in the first Drake, I put down the toilet a little too rough and broke the front of the toilet off into two pieces. The broken off pieces broke pretty clean and aren't a part of any water-touching areas, just the cosmetic portion on the front. I'm sure I know the answer to this question, but thought I'd double check anyway -- did I make a $200+ mistake and throw it away, or is there any way to repair the cracks?

Perx
    Huntington Beach, CA
  2. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

Super glue? or epoxy? You'll still see the line, but it will hold things together...then caulk the bottom to the floor joint. You can buy it without the tank, but sometimes the repair parts are nearly as much as a new one I've heard (never checked). My unprofessional opinion.
  3. If you bought locally and kept the box, you should try to exchange it. It might not work, but it's worth a try.
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 23, 2006
  4. Cass

Cass Plumber

Don't feel to bad even plumbers break things sometimes, ask me how I know.
  5. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

dc

DC. Isn't that a bit dishonest? To expect a dealer to pay for your mistake?
  6. hj,

I was not suggesting to lie and say it was broken when received. I've had some merchants accept a return (at their suggestion) of an item that I broke. How it was handled on their end, I do not know.

This was posted only as a possibility of saving this person some money. The merchant can say either yes or no.