Dropped a screw removal tool down drain.

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & ' started by Ryde41, Apr 30, 2009.

1. Ryde41

Ryde41 New Member

How do you get something out of a shower drain? I dropped a tool down the drain...now all I see is a dark hole and a little water, no tool. I need a high powered magnet. Any suggestions ...is the tool gone forever or will it stop things up later? I know I need to call a plumber but I was wondering if anyone had some advice before I tell my husband his twenty dollar drill bit just fell down the drain.....? help....

How do I get that thing out of there???
  2. Redwood

Redwood Master Plumber

It should be in the trap straight down from the drain.
    The trap is a "J" shaped piece of pipe...
  3. Ryde41

Ryde41 New Member

How do I remove it?
  4. Ryde41

Ryde41 New Member

In a shower, not under a sink....
  5. cacher_chick

cacher_chick Test, Don't Guess!

Underneath the shower is a P-trap, which will prevent the bit from going further. If the shower is on the first floor the P-trap will be accessible from the basement (if you have a basement). If it's a glue-together trap it will have to be cut out and replaced.

You might have the right idea about using a magnet. Most places that sell tools sell a small magnet on the end of a thin telescoping rod. This would probably work to get it out too. Another alternative is a tool called "mechanical fingers" that you could try.

Either of these tools can be found at most auto parts stores.
  6. Ryde41

Ryde41 New Member

Thanks. I'm thinking the magnet would have to be pretty high powered to pick up that fairly heavy drill bit. Where's a high powered magnet when you need one?..I could bend a hanger and tie it on the end ..but I have no magnet. I had a nickel plated shower drain and wanted to change it to the oil rubbed bronze. That cost 18 dollars. Then the screw broke. 20 dollars for screw remover (now in drain). A plumber will probably cost $150 dollars. SOO..my new drain cover will end up costing around $200.00. I need to go lie down....
  7. kingsotall

kingsotall Plunger/TurdPuncher

Your husband will undoubtedly get it out.
  8. Cookie

Cookie .

Why would you tell him? You are newlyweds arent you? :)
  9. Gary Swart

Gary Swart In the Trades

Magnets on a telescoping rod are available at most any auto parts store and they don't cost very much. Handy gadgets to have around anyway. I'd sure try that before cutting the P trap out.
  10. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

drill

If you have a shop vac with a small hose it will suck the water out, and maybe the drill bit also, but at least you would be able to see it. Then a piece of gum on a stick might retrieve it. There is little possibility that it went around the trap and into the drain pipe.
  11. Ryde41

Ryde41 New Member

No, we're not newlyweds. We've been married 25 years. I have good news! I found a piece of magnetic stripping. I taped it to the end of a telephone cord. Then I manuevered it down the hole with a hanger...and a "higher power" blessed me with that 20 dollar drill bit! I'm so thrillled! I still have a broken off screw but now I can start all over. THANKS!
  12. kingsotall

kingsotall Plunger/TurdPuncher

Just to see you smile
    I'd do anything that you wanted me to
    When all is said and done
    I'd never count the cost
    It's worth all that's lost
    Just to see you smile

Tim Mcgraw
  13. Cookie

Cookie .

14. TedL

TedL New Member

It may be even simpler. The bit should be right below the surface of the water in the trap. Find a kid, say 4 yrs old, with small hands. Remove the drain cover/grate. Put a glove on the kid, and have him/her reach in and grab it. Reinstall grate. Get kid an ice cream cone, or other favorite treat.
  15. Marty53

Marty53 New Member

Great job!

I did almost this same thing installing my shower, I dropped the little brace you tighten up the Oatey no calk drain with right into the trap. I bought a tiny little horseshoe magnet in the science project drawer at blue box by all the screws (~$2). I tied some twine to it and dropped it in, worked great! Feels good to work around something like that.

Marty
  16. Cookie

Cookie .

You see, more marriages are broken up over crazy stuff like that ;)
    I was a newlywed for 24 years and 11 months, happily so, cause he didn't know everything, :D
  17. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

happy

Try 54 years and see if you are still a happy newlywed. But the reason it works for you is that you admit that he at least knows SOMETHING, even if not everything. My wife says her husband may know everything, but if he doesn't then the grandson fills in the gaps.
  18. Cookie

Cookie .

He was the smartest man I ever knew, he married me. ;)
  19. Cookie

Cookie .

WOW, 54 years! Here I thought you were a man in his 40's! You sound quite a bit younger, that is great. :)