Drop-in tub rim - no overhang

Users who are viewing this thread

Joseph Sanders

Reaction score
I am having a drop-in fiberglass whirlpool tub installed. The tub deck is marble. The marble cutters cut the opening such that there is no overhang of the tub rim / lip on the marble. If it is positioned very carefully, the tub barely covers the opening. The installer (of course) says its fine, the marble should not support the tub (understood, there will be a mortar base) and he will simply caulk around the edge. I believe the opening is too large and that there needs to be an overhang. Isn't this necessary to avoid leaks into the tub opening? Shouldn't the rim / lip "rest" on the marble? If the tub installer bumps the tub at all there will be an opening on one side of the tub or the other, or if it shifts after installation. Do I have a case for re-doing the marble (or some other fix)? Would extending the framing so that there is lumber underneath the rim / lip be an acceptable compromise? Can a piece of marble be glued to the edge of existing surround? Thanks!
tub lip.png

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
I would not accept it, since there should have been no reason that the opening was made that large, since the tub itself, which is what goes into the opening, is a lot smaller than the outer rim.

Reactions: SHR

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
The question I would ask is who's fault is it? The exact tub specifications should have been provided to the guys cutting the marble. The marble costed a good chunk of change and it is now worthless, so who should absorb the loss? I prefer to set the tub in a bead of silicone on the marble to make it watertight, so any less that 1/2" of overlap around the rim would not be acceptable.

ShowerDude

Showers
Reaction score
fabricator should have had template.

you do want an overhang, you do NEED to set tub in mortar bed as you flush out the tub flange

follwed by silicone....

who was in charge of the template to fabricator transaction?

tough spot to be in.

Joseph Sanders

Reaction score
I really appreciate the quick and helpful replies. This is my first post in this forum. In regard to specs and template, the new tub is an identical replacement of the existing tub. I'm not sure if a template is available, but what has been available is a) the existing tub, b) the existing tub opening, c) the new (identical) tub, and d) tub specs/dimensions on the tub web site (and attached). Do you consider this sufficient and reasonably accessible information? It's a Royal cultured marble round corner drop-in whirlpool.

Attachments

• tub spec.pdf
    108.8 KB · Views: 312
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks