Driving first point well need a little help

Users who are viewing this thread

Tmbr2

Reaction score
Ok, I've been reading some of the other posts regarding point wells and how to get the best possible flow from them. It's a heck of a lot more information than I've found anywhere else, so anyone that has contributed to the others in need, THANKS.
So my question is this. I've already drove the actual point down to just above the basement floor, I then put on the drive coupling with teflon tape, and attached a 36" piece of Galvanized 1 1/4" pipe to that with teflon tape and tightened. Then put the drive cap on top of the pipe and started sinking the point further. The problem I'm having is that I keep cracking the threads under the drive cap. Two pieces of Galv are junk now. I'm hitting square with the hammer, but the threads still crack. It's not hard ground to go through, mostly sand, right off of the river. For now I'm just using a 2 pound short handle hammer, and it goes down bout an inch with each blow. I'm not sure if I should be using different grade of pipe, or if the drive cap threads aren't deep enough. Any suggestions would be much appreciated. Also, I'm curious if I should use pipe dope along with the teflon.

Speedbump

Reaction score
Hammers with wooden handles are not the answer. I can't believe a lot of tutorials on 1-1/4" wells still advocate using a sledge hammer and drive cap. A Fence Post driver or Hammer like the one I built last year is what you need to find.

bob...

Attachments

• HammerSmall.jpg
    HammerSmall.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 506

Tmbr2

Reaction score
alright, I'll try a fence post driver. I was thinking of making one that would fit over the drive cap, but I may just change out the drive cap to a coupling that the fence post driver would fit over. Thanks for the advice.

Tmbr2

Reaction score
Speedbump,

Quick question for you. The hammer that you made, how much does it weigh. I bought a fence post driver, but after 5 solid hits on the pipe, it only drove it down about a 1/2 inch. I was able to get more out of my hand sledge. I'm probably going to alter the driver by welding a cylinder on top of it with lead shot in it to try and use the momentum of the lead shot to help drive it. Any suggestions?

Speedbump

Reaction score
The one in the Pic I sent was about 45 lbs. I didn't have any more lead. 60 - 65 is ideal for hand driving. At that weight if you pipe stops, you will start breaking things pretty soon. A sledge is guaranteed to break things no matter how heavy it is.

bob...

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks