Driveway 911 on a shoestring. Lumps sealer cracks etc...

Users who are viewing this thread

CanOfWorms

Reaction score
So I bought this house and everything needs doing. I want to give the driveway a little love so the kids can scoot around without destroying their knees when they fall. The driveway has some spots where it is totally crumbling and other parts that are good band other parts that are like alligator skin.
I get the whole sealer thing and the cold patch. There is just too much going on to do it right which is just get it redone or at least have someone come and drop 2" of blacktop on it.
So I have a few questions....
1. Can I take a bucket of sealer and add lots of fine sand and make crack sealer? How much sand can I add? Can I use it as a leveler? I bought Henry filler sealer 175. It looks like it it is not latex. I think this is good.
2.there are some tree root humps that will seriously impede kid fun time... Can I heat with a propane torch and then tamp down the 2" humps created by a few tree roots?
3. Can I seal now and then cold patch the spots that are still falling apart?
4. Will sealing now make it harder to professional recoat (add 2" of blacktop) in the fall?

Thank you for expert and anecdotal opinions.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
Well... my driveway is gravel so I'm no expert. It sounds like you want to do what "RockSolid" brand does. I would think the quality and coarseness of the sand will factor in the end result.
RockSolid Polycuramine Driveway Coating™ is a two layer system that utilizes the RockSolid Polycuramine™ as the first layer that bonds with asphalt on a molecular level and by broadcasting a unique aggregate as the top layer creating an impenetrable barrier against wear and tear, oils, gas, salts, UV rays, chemicals, temperature shifts and winter cracking. You can fortify your driveway for a lifetime. Never seal again!

CanOfWorms

Reaction score
Wow... Polycuramine! Has anyone had any experience with this stuff?

Anyone have a thought on the lumps caused by roots?

CanOfWorms

Reaction score
I need to replace it, but costs prohibit at this time.

Anyone know how much sand I can mix in sealer to make crack filler?

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks