Driven well

Users who are viewing this thread

Muddyduck

Reaction score
I installed a shallow well and and went 18 ft. My pump is pumping a large amount of sand along with the water. I ran for about 15 minutes. Should I continue to run it until clear?? I live at the beach where sand is plentiful. So I don't think I need more in my back yard.
Thanks

Last edited:

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
I'm not a well person (pun intended) but I doubt that the water will ever clear. Your well is shallow in sandy terrain. The sand allows water to flow, but the water will always have sand in it. I really don't have any suggestions to make as to what you can do about it, but perhaps some of the guys that know wells will pick up on this.

Wet_Boots

Sprinkler Guy
Reaction score
Keep pumping. What mesh size is the point? Running a sprinkler system on sandy water is pretty much a no-go these days.

Muddyduck

Reaction score
Hi , I am not sure of the size , but it is very fine though. How long should you pump out a driven well. Thanks

Speedbump

Reaction score
How long should you pump out a driven well.
Until the sand stops. If it doesn't stop in a couple hours, chances are it's not going to.

This is another prime example of someone not doing his homework.
What mesh size is the point?
I am not sure of the size , but it is very fine though
At least talk around the neighborhood and see what others have done before putting a pig in a poke.

bob...

Muddyduck

Reaction score
Hi Thanks for replying. My neighbor has a well 15 ' from mine . She had hers done about 7 years ago. I talked with her before trying the install. She had a well before and it was at 17' , her new well is now at 20'. I will proceed to drive down 3 more feet to see if this clears up the problem. Thanks for looking at this question.

Muddyduck

Reaction score
Hi Bob thanks for replying. The screen size is 80. The clerk says that is what is used in Panama City Beach. I have not gone down the extra 3 feet, but I will let you know if it worked . Thanks Andy

Speedbump

Reaction score
I'm not real sure the Clerk knows that much about well drilling all up and down the coast, but an 80 gauze screen is pretty fine. You wouldn't get a lot of water through one. But you should expect at least 5 gpm I would think.

bob...

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks