Dripping sound when turn on outside water

Users who are viewing this thread

Strong son

Reaction score
Hi there.

I came home today and turned on the outside water which is the other side of the house where the water main shut off is located.

I went into the bathroom above the water main and heard this dripping sound. I went downstairs near the main and heard the sound but not as loud as when above. I looked over the water heater and the shut off valves and no water anywhere.

I turned off the main water valve and the sound went away. I also heard a bit of a whoosh sound like pressure being released.
The hot water heating also had a bit of a drip sound as soon as I turned off the water main. Turned main water back on and sound came back.

I went outside and turned off the outside water and the sound disappears. If it turn the outside water back on the sound comes back.

What might this be? Really weird.
Thanks

Last edited:

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail 5th session completed 4/24/24.
Solutions
Reaction score
If you have a frost proof spigots, it has cracked probably due to a freeze this past winter. Is there a basement? If you hear it from the bathroom, it is probably feed from the bathroom cold water line. Frost proofs are over 12" long so I suspect it extended into a bathroom wall perpendicular to the outside wall. The seat washer is at the far right end so when it is turned off, and the hose removed, water can drain. The crack is in the middle that is inside the wall.

1681245636689.jpeg
images

Strong son

Reaction score
If you have a frost proof spigots, it has cracked probably due to a freeze this past winter. Is there a basement? If you hear it from the bathroom, it is probably feed from the bathroom cold water line. Frost proofs are over 12" long so I suspect it extended into a bathroom wall perpendicular to the outside wall. The seat washer is at the far right end so when it is turned off, and the hose removed, water can drain. The crack is in the middle that is inside the wall.

View attachment 91819
images

Hi there. Thanks for responding. I do not have frost proof spigots. I would think if the spigot pipe was broke then I would always hear the sound. But I only hear it when I turn on the outside water. When it off I hear nothing.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
What "outside water" ? irrigation? when you open a valve you hear water ok that sounds normal underground pipe leaking water blasting in a crawl space maybe

Strong son

Reaction score
Just had a plumber come out. He said the noise is the noise from the water meter. He said it should be replaced and therefore will call the county. Thanks

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Sorry no help from us those descriptions of the problem are very important to give a diagnosis

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks