Dripping Pumptrol Square D

Users who are viewing this thread

Bigtwin

Reaction score
I recently noticed a puddle of water, about 3 ft across, around my pressure tanks(s). Upon inspection I found a constant drip coming from the bottom of the Pumptrol Square D. Water around those electrical connections looks pretty scary to me. Is this the Pumptrol leaking or a connection going to it? I'm new to water wells. The Pumptrol does seem to be operating as it should..30 lbs low and then it cuts on and pumps up to about 50 lbs.

Bigtwin

Reaction score
Inside the Square D cover is "9013FSG 2" and a little to the right is "Ser B". Could somone clarify which model I need? I measured the voltage on the only two wires on the switch and it shows about 495 volts. Can a 230 volt model be used?

Bigtwin

Reaction score
I called Square D support and after talking to them, the 440 line with 3 wires is a one phase. A 9013 GHG2J21 was recommended, however, these must be a rare bird as I was never able to find one on the web. Since the 9013 FSG2 was installed and worked for a few years, replacing it with the same model is appealing at this point.

Speedbump

Reaction score
So your telling me you have 460 volt three phase power at your house and that's what your pump is running on? If this is really the case, I think you will find that there is a contactor somewhere that is acting as the switch for your Pump. The pressure switch is the control which would only have to break one wire. That would be one of the two wires that feed the coil on that Contactor.

If I were you, I would call someone that knows what they are doing. Your messing with some pretty high voltage.

bob...

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
FSG2 works fine with 460 volts. It is amperage that burns them not the voltage, and 460 is less amperage than 230 volt. You probably have a step down transformer in the panel anyway that puts reduced voltage to the pressure switch and magnetic contactor.

Speedbump

Reaction score
Valveman, do you suppose some Weekend Warrior actually hooked that FSG-2 up with just two of the three legs to kill the Motor? I have seen crazier things done.

bob...

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
I hope not!! I use to think a 3 phase had to have a magnetic starter to function at all. Then I saw one that was just wired directly to the fuses. It was actually working, but it scared the hell out of me. I don't know what it would do if you just ran two legs through a pressure switch???

Speedbump

Reaction score
It would certainly leave the third one hot all the time. That's pumping 230 volts down a wire into a Well waiting for a short circuit to occur so it can pump it all over the place. Not Good!

Years ago, I went down into a Well Pit. I noticed the electrical outlet box on the concrete wall was glowing red. I got the hell out of the Pit and went in search of the Breaker Box. The lady let me into the house and pointed to the box in her living room wall. (Yup in the wall) The lid was Wallpapered to the wall, so I used my Knife to trace around the door. Once open and after removing the safety panel. I found someone had somehow wired the entire Well Pit to the Main Lugs coming into the box from the Electric Company. Above the Main Breaker. Now that's scarey!

bob...

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks