drip line setup

Discussion in 'Irrigation / Sprinkler Forum' started by scheetz83, Oct 1, 2006.

1. scheetz83

scheetz83 New Member

Hello

I am new to this forum and I need a little help.

I am setting up a drip irrigation system to irrigate about 30 new trees on two zones with zone 1 (drip)putting out 45gph and zone 2 (Microsprinklers) putting out 65gph. I am looking at using a pair of sprinkler valves with a lawn sprinkler timer. I am trying to do it cheap because with in the next few years the trees should be able to handle the selves

My questions are:

I understand that some valves will not work on a low flow application. what valve would work the best for me?

I have about 3 rolls of this wire http://www.amazon.com/Works-30031-HFWBC50-Speaker-Burial/dp/B00016HY98
    that I was going to use but never did will it work for the sprinkler valve wiring? I will have to splice it twice as the controller is 110ft from the valves.
  2. jimbo

jimbo Plumber

That 16 gauge wire is more than adequate for your application.

I also see no issues with flow on a zone valve. These valves are used all the time on drip sytems. If it is an anti-siphon type valve, pressure is what activates the diaphragm and the vacuum breaker poppet. Low flow should cause no problems.

If you get your valves at a box store, Rainbird or Toro would be among the choices. Do NOT by the "homeowner" cheapie; you will have trouble with these. Expect to pay around $20 to $25 each.

For the money, the RainJet and Orbit brands are OK.
  3. scheetz83

scheetz83 New Member

that's great to know

I was at the local Home improvement store today and was looking at the valves they had orbits, Toro, rainbird, and lawn genie. Some had a min and max flow rate listed and some did not. I think I will go with the rainbirds as they where only $15. The Box said on flows of less then 3gpm I must install a RBY filter upstream.

``What is a RBY filler, is it special type of Y filter?

``I have a Rain drip Y filter installed at the beginning of the drip system. Is that what they are talking about?

``Also I have seen setup where there is for example 3 valves and each valve has a y filter just before it. Is that necisary?

``Wont 1 y filter on the main supply line to both valves do the trick.

thanks