Drip from under the kitchen sink - how to fix?

Users who are viewing this thread

kissiffer4

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I was having a clean out beneath the kitchen sink today and found a slow drip. Luckily I had a bowl there that caught all of the water, but if you look at the attached photo, you can see where it is leaking (around the middle). Any suggestions on how to fix this much appreciated. I am a complete novice when it comes to plumbing (apart from knowing where to shut off the main water supply!), so grateful for any help

Cheers.

Attachments

• P1010215.JPG
    P1010215.JPG
    39.1 KB · Views: 205

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Those nuts are compression fittings, and depending on where it is leaking, you may just be able to slightly tighten the nut on the joint where it is leaking. Note, while I do not see any tape on the joints, if that was used, that can cause a leak...the joints do not require anything extra to make a seal.

FullySprinklered

In the Trades
Reaction score
I've seen on several occasions that the ferrule under the nut had been installed backwards causing a drip. So, if you loosen the white plastic nut and pull it back from the connection, you should see a plastic washer under there with a tapered side oriented in the direction away from the nut. God, I hope I'm making sense here.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Those joints do not require a wrench. Just hand tighten is usually sufficient. As noted, no tape or other sealant should be use.

kissiffer4

Reaction score
Thanks everyone. Daft question, but what is the best tool to use to loosen/tighten those joints? I will probably just hand tighten, but for future reference it would be good to know. Thanks.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The seals could be harder plastic, or softer (synthetic) rubber. The rubber ones are easier to make seal, but they both work IF they are oriented properly. You want the narrow tapered side to be pushed into the crack when the nut is tightened with the flat side towards the nut.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks