Drip during heavy rain shower

Users who are viewing this thread

Ddagsyn

Reaction score
hi
I have a two storey house in houston texas. This friday we got about 3 inches of rain at around noon. I was in my master on the second floor for the good part of the rain.
When i went to my first floor family room I noticed water on my couch. I looked up to see a water stain from my vent. I quickly opened the vent to find it was completely dry and concluded that water was just using the opening to drip down. Now the rain although not heavy was steady by the drip had stop.
I went up to the second storey and noticed no leaks in the ceiling just above. I also went thru the attic with a flood light and although the space is tight could not find any water marks by the drain vents etc.
So i am lost as to how water was dripping thru the first floor with no evidence of it on the second.
Now to the left of the family room is the guest bathroom which has it's drain vent and plumbing pretty far from the drip. I cannot imagine any plumbing in the area of the drip. The guest bathroom does have an exhaust which is about 3 feet from the drip spot.
All the drain vents on the roof were re sealed after hurriance ike. And i should mention that during hurriance ike we did have a drip spot about a foot to the left of the new one.

So my quesiton is where do i look and what do you think is going on. The drip spot is about 9 feet from the shingled house side. Where could this drip be coming from. It also rained all day today pretty heavy and the drip is gone.

If it was the plumbing or the drain it would be consistent but it isn't.
Please advice and thanks for reading.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Leaks can often track along a floor hidden, usually following a 2X4 at the base of a wall.

I have seen a shower valve leak show up 8 feet away from the actual leak location...:eek:

Good luck in your quest to find the source.

Msgale

Reaction score
if it only leaks when raining, you need roofing help, not plumbing help, and you are on the wrong forum.

roof leaks can be extremely tricky to track down bcs. the water will drip a long distance, maybe on a rafter or other wood, before it's visible.
go back to the attic w bright light, in the rain, and look everywhere.

Ddagsyn

Reaction score
Yeah, I suspect it is in the roof as well. The flashing for the drain spouts were checked after the hurriance last year and resealed. I am suspecting that it came from one of the air circulation vents.
thanks

Thatguy

Homeowner
Reaction score
I guess you could use a level on the joists to find from which end the water is flowing, but you may be looking for very small angles.

SewerRatz

Illinois Licensed Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.a-archer.net
They sell moisture detectors that you can use to help pinpoint the leak. They are a bit expansive but worth it for jobs like this one.

Ddagsyn

Reaction score
I found the source. It turns out to be the drain spout flashing. There are a few very small holes that would allow rain water to come in. I confirmed this by touching the insulation which was slightly damp.
My handyman is going to come over to seal it.

Thanks all

SewerRatz

Illinois Licensed Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.a-archer.net
I found the source. It turns out to be the drain spout flashing. There are a few very small holes that would allow rain water to come in. I confirmed this by touching the insulation which was slightly damp.
My handyman is going to come over to seal it.

Thanks all

Good find. Glad you able to track it down in a timely manor.

Ddagsyn

Reaction score
K, I know this is not the right forum but am going to ask if anyone can give me a contact to an honest handyman or company to reseal and repair my roof flashing. This is becoming an emergency. I am in Houston TX close to Spring Cypress/Tomball
Thanks

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks