Drilling knockout for Composite granite sink

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by livingaboard, Mar 2, 2007.

1. livingaboard

livingaboard New Member

Once again I call upon the vast knowledge of this board to help me out.

I ordered a Blanco composite granite sink and forgot to have them drill an additional hole next to the center hole it comes with. It is on its way and I will need to open up an additional "knockout". There are 7 knockouts on this sink. Are these "knockouts" really knockouts or are they just a premarked area that have to be drilled out?

If I have to drill a hole how should I go about doing this? I believe it is about 1.25 inches in diameter.

thanks,

Dave
  2. coz

coz New Member

you should have directions for knocking out the holes with the sink . if not get them. do not drill them
  3. coz

coz New Member

4. If they have stickers on the finished side of sink showing locations of the holes,

don't assume those stickers are directly over the knockouts. I installed a moenstone sink last week, was working tired and started pecking on the knockout sticker like the first one I did and had no problems.

Turns out the sticker was off an 1" and all those pecker marks could of cost me a $600 sink no one wanted.

Pulled the sticker off, used a 1-3/8" carbide hole saw and centered it over all the dings I put in the sink and took care of the mishap.

Never again will I trust the sticker locations.
  5. livingaboard

livingaboard New Member

thanks

Thanks for the information. I was just trying to think ahead as to what tools I would need if I had to drill. Contacting Blanco was my next step but I figured it would take a while for them to get back to me.
  6. jimbo

jimbo Plumber

If I am correct, the blanco sinks are a composite similar to Corian? These can be drilled with any hole saw. IF it is really a granite composite like Silestone, these need more serious tools.
  7. livingaboard

livingaboard New Member

composit

They are made of 80% granite with the rest being essentially a resin or plastic.