Drill in Concrete for external Faucet?

Users who are viewing this thread

sethramesh

Reaction score
Planning to install a hose bib outside to water garden. If I drill through wall/siding, the height outside where i will install the bib is too high. Around 6 foot above the ground. If I want to install 4 feet from ground, I have to drill through concrete basement wall and brick outside - almost 8" thickness.

Any idea how to do this?

Thanks

Last edited:

Verdeboy

In the Trades
Reaction score
Drilling Thru Concrete Wall

I recently did this using a carbide-tipped hole saw and a 12 inch hole saw extension. You can also use a 12 inch masonry drill bit. In either case, you need a fairly powerful hammer drill. If you don't own one, you can rent what you need.

AZ Contractor

In the Trades
Reaction score
Don't bother with either a hole saw or a hammer drill.

A hole saw is overkill and a hammer drill is underkill.

Get a decent rotary hammer with a 12" long bit at the correct diameter for the pipe.

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
Ditto, a hammer drill with a 1.25" bit will make short work of the job.

If you live in an area that freezes in the winter you will want to have a slight pitch down toward you as you drill the hole so the hose bib can drain out when turned off.

Verdeboy

In the Trades
Reaction score
Hammer Drills

You guys are really splitting hairs here. A rotary hammer drill is a hammer drill designed purely for masonry work. I happen to own a powerful standard hammer drill which worked fine. I don't do enough of this kind of work to purchase a dedicated tool like that.

A decent rotary hammer that can accommodate a 1 1/4" bit costs several hundred dollars. So, if you are only going to do this once, you should rent one.

Geniescience

Homeowner
Reaction score
without drilling at all?

I don't know about hose bibbs so I can't say for sure, but is there an option to bring a copper pipe through the easy wall?

In his first post he said he could come through at 6' high, without drilling through concrete.

Is anyone going to suggest doing that and installing an elbow to turn the pipe 90 degrees down, and then terminating the copper with a hose bibb attached to the concrete wall with tapcons?

By the way, what is wrong with a garden hose connection 6' high?

david

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks