Dremel or Rotozip..

Do you prefer Dremel or Rotozip

• Total voters

Users who are viewing this thread

Mike50

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
I think I've decided on getting a Dremel for light duty, tile and artsy stuff and household use. My conclusion is based on looking at both tools and
although it doesnt have as much power-the Dremel appears to have a
better ergonomic grip and maneuverability (sp) for my purposes.

I'm not planning on any drywall work rather some woodworking-repair-cleaning & polishing as well as lite grout issues.

A good grip is more important than maximum power. Any input or recommendations of models is appreciated. I noticed one Dremel features a lithium battery...as opposed to a more accessory model for about the same price..65-75 range...

thanks...

Mike50

Bob NH

In the Trades
Reaction score
You will find that you need POWER. If you are going to do useful work, you will stall the little battery powered Dremel.

Black and Decker has come out with a Dremel type tool that runs 2.0 Amps versus the 1.15 Amps of the standard Dremel. Dremel has since come out with a 400 series XPR. If I were buying one now I would select a 2 Amp model of either brand.

The RotoZip or the Sears version of it is a totally different tool. The RotoZip is a powerful router, but not the equivalent of a real router. I use my RotoZip with a two-flute carbide router bit, 1" long cutter edge, and it will remove an amazing amount of wood in places that you can't get at with any other tool. You can enlarge a hole or even carve a 2x4 into two pieces in quick time. You have to hold it with two hands if you are doing freehand routing, or any other kind. The RotoZip might be nice if mounted and you wanted to use it to cut decorations in glass.

I found that the 1/8" bits are to fragile for anything but careful light work such as cutting drywall.

The RotoZip can also be used as a "die grinder" with grinding stones. They make a diamond tile saw attachment to run on the RotoZip but I suspect that it will be unsatisfactory.

Mike50

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Bob NH said:
You will find that you need POWER. If you are going to do useful work, you will stall the little battery powered Dremel.

Black and Decker has come out with a Dremel type tool that runs 2.0 Amps versus the 1.15 Amps of the standard Dremel. Dremel has since come out with a 400 series XPR. If I were buying one now I would select a 2 Amp model of either brand.

The RotoZip can also be used as a "die grinder" with grinding stones. They make a diamond tile saw attachment to run on the RotoZip but I suspect that it will be unsatisfactory.

I *want* as much power as I can get in the 70 dollar range Bob. I *need* one hand Dexterity as with a soldering iron.

IOW if I have this fantastic super power tool that can do everything but wash my shorts...it is in fact almost useless for *me* if I have to use two hands and can't do detail work.
Bearing that in mind which make/model would you fellas recommend?

I never understood the focus on "routing" for the average schmoe like me to begin with.
I understand the circular saw thang but what the hell would I do with a router anyway? Maybe it's one of those things that if you have to ask you wouldn't understand. lol

I can't believe how much this forum has helped me introduce me to some great products, not to mention avoiding a couple serious mistakes I would have made...

they should make it a misdemeanor for big box guys to dispense advice.
it's that bad (around here anyway) heh.

M.

Last edited:

Mike50

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
aw geesh..
Dremel is pushing the XPR400 on TV so I looked it up and I find this
"stylus" pistol grip model. arghh. Too many choices for my tiny mind...

http://www.dremel.com/en-us/tools/tool-detail.htm?H=188091&G=66204&I=69808

I'm just wondering if the pistol grip gives you less torque because your hand is very close to what you are cutting sharpening or polishing...?
OTOH you can sharpen knives or polish small surfaces as well.

Last edited:

Bob NH

In the Trades
Reaction score
Look for the AMPS

Look for the AMPS. The torque on a Dremel or the Black and Decker RTX version (2.0 Amps) is small and can easily be handled with one hand. But I would go for the 2.0 Amps instead of the old 1.15 Amp version.

I find that I frequently stall or severely slow the motor when cutting or using the buffing wheels. More power would reduce the stalling.

You aren't going to hold it with a pistol type grip if you are trying to control it. You are going to get your hand down as close as possible to the wheel.

When I really want to control it I use two hands. Sharpening a chain saw, I clamp the bar of the saw in a vise and use two hands to control the Dremel tool with a small grinding stone.

Mike50

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Bob NH said:
Look for the AMPS. The torque on a Dremel or the Black and Decker RTX version (2.0 Amps) is small and can easily be handled with one hand. But I would go for the 2.0 Amps instead of the old 1.15 Amp version.

I find that I frequently stall or severely slow the motor when cutting or using the buffing wheels. More power would reduce the stalling.

You aren't going to hold it with a pistol type grip if you are trying to control it. You are going to get your hand down as close as possible to the wheel.

When I really want to control it I use two hands. Sharpening a chain saw, I clamp the bar of the saw in a vise and use two hands to control the Dremel tool with a small grinding stone.

Yea. I hear you Bob. I spent some time reading reviews on various models....and I'm slowly getting this sorted out as to which one is for me.
A number of old time dremel users complain that one or two of the newer models are essentially c r a p.
IE-cheap,whiny,overheats, mediocre handling and parts-battery issues.

The more I think about it-why do I need a pistol grip unless I was a jeweler or something.

thats where Im at so far....

Last edited by a moderator:

Bob NH

In the Trades
Reaction score
You don't need a pistol grip and I would stay away from the battery powered units. They are toys, like battery powered soldering pencils. Useless!

Chassis

Engineer
Reaction score
More power is more better. Stay away from battery powered units.

A RotoZip can be operated with one hand. But clearly the Dremel, being lighter, would be easier to operate one-handedly.

I have both tools and they both have their uses. Small projects are the Dremel's hallmark. However, it does not have any flexibility when it comes to cutting or removing a large amount of material. This is where the RotoZip comes in.

Prashster

Reaction score
I've heard some people swear by the Fein Multitool. I haven't used, but I think it's more in the league of the R-Zip than the Dremel.

The RZip is actually quite maneuverable and easy to handle. You can use it with or without the detachable handle. The speed also variable so you can use it for some delicate work. It doesn't have a lot of start up torque like a router, either, so you can use it with one hand.

PEW

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
BobH,

They are toys, like battery powered soldering pencils. Useless!

I have seen some decent battery soldering "pencils". Would not want to build a HeathKit with one, but handy for a quick re-solder where the soldering station is not available.

Paul

Mike50

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
For me the real beauty of the internet is situations like this where I can get opinions/reviews so I don't screw up too badly in unchartered waters like this.

Prashster

Reaction score
Not sure this purchase required THAT much consideration, though ;)

Did I mention that I prefer the Rotozip to the Dremel?

Mike50

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Im really glad you said that Prashter....because while you were typing I was reading about companies having employees pose as reviewers to boost ratings. I *Know* this goes on and it's irritating.

Thats my problem at Amazon right now....
A few of these clowns are plants touting mediocre products.

My dilemma is that the old time Dremel guys saying that older models are superior.....where newer models arent up to snuff.
OTOH what the hell do I know....I've never owned one before, you know.

I'ma big believer in older technology in many cases.
I have an old HP laserjet printer from 1991. Trust me-the new Industrial models dont even come close in reliability, durability and lifespan.

Yes...it weighs about 40 pounds.....and yes it's slower than the second coming of God....but I love this thing. capiche...?

I know how you feel about Rotozip.
I think of Dremel as a little Gizmo and Bosch Rotozip as as power tool.
FWIW :D

Last edited:

Prashster

Reaction score
I hear ya on the printers. I have an HP Laserjet 5 from 'Nam. That sucker is tough enough to withstand my 2 year old son climbing and drooling on it every day.

Did I mention that I like Rotozip?

Word on the street is that Bosch is working on electric toothbrush and dog walking attachments for it. Once this happens, I'll never have to leave home.

Mike50

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
prashster said:
I hear ya on the printers. I have an HP Laserjet 5 from 'Nam. That sucker is tough enough to withstand my 2 year old son climbing and drooling on it every day.

Did I mention that I like Rotozip?

Word on the street is that Bosch is working on electric toothbrush and dog walking attachments for it. Once this happens, I'll never have to leave home.

You veddy veddy funny pilgrim. Printer from "Nam. sweet.
I have old Macintosh speakers used as endtables circa 1970 and I wish they were refurbished as opposed to the toys that Bose produces now.

The dog walker now comes with a dog polisher attachment BTW.
BUT..you have to get the adapter first for $39.95. :D

PEW

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Got an old HP LJ III which just won't give up, but it does not get much use anymore.

Have a Weller tool, sort of pre Dremel so to speak, and a rotozip. Have found they both have their place but I have been real tempted towards the 2.0 Dremel BobH mentioned.

I hate to give in and say it, but there are few things you can buy today that are not junk compared to even 10 years ago or so.

Paul

Mike50

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
PEW said:
Got an old HP LJ III which just won't give up, but it does not get much use anymore.

Have a Weller tool, sort of pre Dremel so to speak, and a rotozip. Have found they both have their place but I have been real tempted towards the 2.0 Dremel BobH mentioned.

I hate to give in and say it, but there are few things you can buy today that are not junk compared to even 10 years ago or so.

Paul

I have the HP LJ II. I will probabaly get the model Bob suggests.
Bob and Prashter are always introducing me to revolutionary products and concepts
like common sense and vinegar.
Everything they say is right. Damn I hate that.....

Did I mention that Prashter prefers Rotozip?

Mike

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks