Drake vs Ultramax

Discussion in 'Toilet Forum discussions' started by flanary, Feb 11, 2005.

1. flanary

flanary New Member

We are replacing an American Standard and are looking ato both the Drake and Ultramax. The difference I have been quoted is about $100 and I was just wondering what your opinions were. What is the difference in the two? Also, the SaniGloss on the Ultramax, does that require special cleaning supplies? Thanks!
  2. jcrisler

jcrisler New Member

Drake CST744SG vs Ultramax MS854114SG?

Drake VS Ultramax? Great question! I'm replacing 3 23+ yr old toilets and was wanting answer/comparison too.

To help answer this question - Go to the following... http://www.savingwater.org/inside_bathroom_toilettest.htm

According to the test in above link (see update of May 2004 too), the Drake has much better flushing ability.

Hopefully, Terry will give his opinion. What about it Terry?
  3. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

I replaced both of my toilets with Toto's (vespin and carlyle). Each has SanaGlos. Compared to the old toilets, stuff that does stick (and much less does), comes off with a brush easily, almost no scrubbing at all. Given a choice, I would buy it with Sanaglos.
  4. It has been stated here previously by Terry and others in numerous threads that the performance of the Ultramax and Drake is very comparable. So it boils down to your preference as far as looks: one-piece (Ultramax) or two-piece (Drake). I personally find the one-piece models more attractive and there's no gap between tank and bowl for liquids, bacteria, mold, etc., to collect. Then there's the price difference to consider because the two-piece models are less expensive.

The Ultramax also includes the premium seat whereas a seat for the Drake must be purchased separately.

Nothing abrasive should be used on Sanagloss. You should be fine with any liquid cleaner as long as it's not acid-based.
  5. flanary

flanary New Member

Thanks so much for the information. I am looking forward to purchasing a Toto!!!!
  6. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

Performance between the Drake and the Ultramax is similar.

Reasons to choose the 1-piece Ultramax over the 2-piece Drake would be,
    comes with a nice seat
    a little quieter
    easier to clean between tank and bowl
    cleaner for that reason too
    easier to install
    you may like the look of it

Reasons to choose the 2-piece Drake would be,
    comes in two boxes, easier to lift and transport
    you may like the look of it

Either one would be a good choice

TOTO Drake 800 grams by Veritech, Video