Drake rim to water surface distance?

Discussion in 'Toilet Forum discussions' started by linty, Jan 13, 2009.

1. linty

linty New Member

I am considering a new toilet and the Toto Drake seems to fit the bill but I have a crucial question. What is the distance from the rim (not the seat) down to the water surface in the bowl? I have called several toilet manufacturers and they can't or won't tell me what seems to be a basic design criteria to accommodate male anatomy. This is a serious question concerning comfort and sanitation and I would be grateful if someone could enlighten me. Thank you.
  2. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

disstance

AMerican Standard toilets used to have a high water level, which was uncomfortable for some males, but I have not seen any modern ones that have that problem. The higher the water level the less effective the flush with only 1/6 gallons of water. If you have that problem, lowering the air temperature in the room will help.
  3. linty

linty New Member

Distance

Thanks. Some of your info is useful in a general way- some not. Is there anyone with a Drake that's willing to measure from the rim to the water?
  4. Gary Swart

Gary Swart In the Trades

I don't have a Drake, but I can tell you that an ADA would solve the problem for sure as well as being much more comfortable for most adults.
  5. Macman

Macman New Member

As one who is intimately familiar with the problem of which you speak, I do understand. I'm not at home to take measurements, but we have an ADA height elongated Drake upstairs and have never had this problem with it. Downstairs we have a shorter American Standard (not elongated) that I avoid because of this exact problem.
  6. linty

linty New Member

Distance

Thanks Gary. From the pictures of the Drake, it looks like the ADA just has a taller base under the same bowl as the regular, so maybe either one would work. My wife doesn't want the ADA and we're trying to find a common solution.
  7. TedL

TedL New Member

Two year old Drake elongated (you know you want elongated, right!).

Six inches from straight edge set on the bowl to water.
  8. Gary Swart

Gary Swart In the Trades

Of course you have to please SWMBO, but urge her to consider these points. ADA height is approximately the same as a regular dining room chair. Many people of average and above height find that sitting on a toilet puts our knees above the level of our hips. Put another way, our butts are below our knees so we are essentially squatting! When we are young, this doesn't seem like too big of an issue, but as we age it becomes much more difficult stand. Unless she is 4'8", I'm very sure that once she becomes accustomed to the couple of extra inches in height, a standard height toilet will feel very strange.
  9. linty

linty New Member

Thanks Ted. That's exactly the info I was looking for and it works for me. Yes, absolutely elongated.
    I'll work on the SWMBO Gary.
  10. Mature Vermonter

Mature Vermonter New Member

need room

Just measured our two toilets - distance of water to rim without seat - one was 7.5 inches and the other 4 1/2". Six inches may be enough, but how do you tell in the store - sans water

Some photos I've seen of ADA toilets have high pedestals, as someone else noted, so that doesn't guarantee maximum distance.

I've just started to research this as we want to replace the two toilets in our new house. We need specs!

Thanks to a fellow Vermonter for posting this - it's been driving me crazy for years - years before being mature.
  11. weaver

weaver New Member

My eco UltraMax ADA elongated (2009) is 6 1/8" rim to water spot.
    My wife (5'5") really likes the ADA height.
    Bob