drake II leak at tank bolt

Users who are viewing this thread

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Installing a toilet tank is a lot like changing a tire. You tighten the bolts gradually, alternating from one to the other. On a Toto, there are 2 points of contact. Some guys recommend using a playing card like a feeler gauge and just getting the points that close. Others bring the points down until they touch. The key is alternating and not going too with one side. If you've done that and you have a leak, there is something else wrong. Could be a defect. Toto has very few defects that get past quality control, but it is possible.

MandK

Reaction score
Installing a toilet tank is a lot like changing a tire. You tighten the bolts gradually, alternating from one to the other. On a Toto, there are 2 points of contact. Some guys recommend using a playing card like a feeler gauge and just getting the points that close. Others bring the points down until they touch. The key is alternating and not going too with one side. If you've done that and you have a leak, there is something else wrong. Could be a defect. Toto has very few defects that get past quality control, but it is possible.

yes, I tightened the bolts gradually and did alternate. The Drake II has 3 contact points. I took the bolts down until they barely touched.

MandK

Reaction score
I removed the tank today for a leak test in the garage. The better lighting outside revealed a hairline crack in the bottom of the tank. No test needed.

Now I just hope Toto is good on warranty and will replace my tank.

Thanks again for the help and the lessons of toilet installation.

Marc

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks